Keeping things sanitized with plastic wrap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
All in the name of saving time on brew day, I was looking to sanitize equipment early in the week and then hope to keep it ready to go until brew day. How might I do this? Say I sanitize my barboy on monday for a brew on wednesday, can I just cover the opening with plastic wrap? What about my mashing paddles, bungs, tubes? Spray and wrap? Or might this create new environments for other microorganisms to take root? Is this a step best left to brewday?

Thank you

Not worth the risk.
I tried covering my milkcrates of beer with wrap, but ended up spraying the inside with starsan again anyways. It's quick, and not worth the potential loss if it doesn't work.

Agreed.
About the only thing I do to speed things up is after washing and drying the equipment (after brew day), I'll cover the openings with foil and store them in a clean place.
Then on brew day, just a quick dunk in Star San and it's good to go.

Anything that touches wort before it gets boiled doesn't need to be sanitized anyway, such as your mash paddle, mash tun and its drain hose, etc.

You can and really should clean and sanitize your carboys beforehand. Leave a quart or so of Starsan in them, and put a double layer of plastic wrap around the neck to keep them sanitized while stored away. Then on brewday, right before you drain your kettle, swirl the Starsan, remove the plastic wrap, drain and it's ready for wort.

Oh, reclaim that Starsan, don't toss it.

Latest posts

Back