Keeping Hops/Syrup Extract Cold before use...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_sanch

Reaction score
I just got back from the homebrew supplies store and picked up some syrup extract, some hops and yeast for my upcoming Irish Red Ale brew...

I was advised that if I wanted to brew tomorrow I should refrigerate the extract, hope and yeast before use so I stuck them in the fridge when I got home. Now, should I be bringing them to room temperature before use or can I still them into the boiling wort cold? I'm not sure if the cold to boiling shock will affect anything... Any feedback?

U need to bring them to room temp the day of or the day before the boil. I even put my extract in hot water before hand so that it is loose and easier to pour.

hefehawk said:
U need to bring them to room temp the day of or the day before the boil. I even put my extract in hot water before hand so that it is loose and easier to pour.

And this goes for the hops and yeast as well?

Also, I'm going to have leftover extract...to store it for a future batch should I refrigerate or freeze?

Well, with liquid yeast, you would take it out of the fridge a couple days before hand, warm to room temp, smack, and hours later when it swells, pitch it into your starter. 36-48hrs later, you'd pitch that into your cooled wort. If you just bought everything a day before brewing, leave it at out, don't even put it in the fridge.

With leftover malt, put it in the fridge. I have my DME in the fridge at 33-34º

It's actually dry powdered yeast not liquid but thanks for the tip

yeah still put it in the fridge and bring it to room temp before you pitch. always best to rehydrate your yeast in warm water at the start of your brew day.

Back