Keeping hops fresh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
I buy hops in those 1 oz. nitrogen proof packets, is there anyways once you open the packets to keep them fresh? Is there a method like freezing them or something.
BTW: I always use pellet hops.

I read somewhere else the best way to store hops is double bagged in ziplocs in the freezer. The reason for double bagging is so that your whole freezer doesn't smell like hops. Freezer smelling like hops might not sound so bad. At least it didn't to me, but apparantly along with the smell food can contaminate hops, and hops can make food taste and smell like hops.

i double ziploc them and then wrap them in ''butchers freezer paper''(the white paper you see at any small butcher shop, they wrap their meat in) so their is no chance of freezer burn and it can make them last longer, and fresher!

Get a vacum sealer like the Foodsaver and vacum pak them and freeze them. They will keep for a year.

azmtnbiker said:
Get a vacum sealer like the Foodsaver and vacum pak them and freeze them. They will keep for a year.

I love my FoodSaver. I recently started measuring out different grains for favorite beer recipes. I now have my Haus Pale Ale, ready to go with the correct amount of Pale, Vienna and Crystal 10 L. The Foodsaver works great on hop pellets too.

Here's some batches of grain ready for the Barley Crusher.

Foodsaver55poundsPale.jpg

I like a device called a Pump and Seal It will vacuum pack any jar that has a seal. I buy hops by the pound and put them in mason jars and I can seal and unseal them anytime for hundreds of times, over and over again. What I like is there is no waste (bags etc.) and nothing more to buy.This is a great item at $19.95. Goggle Pump and Seal.:ban:

I have a plastic jar designed to work with the vac-u-vin wine capper thingy. I put leftover bits of hops in there, suck out the air, then pop it in the freezer. For larger amounts, I do the double ziplock thing: I bag them in 1 oz amoutns and then put several of the small bags in one larger bag.

The main thing is to limit exposure to air.

Back