Keeping Carbonated in Growler for 7-10 Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuse88

Reaction score
I have to deliver a cider I brewed for a party a week or so ahead of time, but would really prefer not to bottle. I am planning on filling a few growlers (swing tops) but I am concerned about the cider losing carbonation over the course of 7-10 days. My second idea was to fill and cap a few bombers from my picnic tap with a hose connected to the tap.

What’s the best way to insure a growler maintains carbonation over that duration?

Would the quick bottled bombers provide better insurance that the cider remains carbonated ?

Thanks for any help!

I tried following all the steps I found online for using a growler but failed...my beer was flat 2 hours later. Granted it was a screw on cap.

Sounds like your filling from a keg . If so up your psi a day before you fill to over carb it a tad. Purge the cool growler with co2 and then fill your growler all the way until it starts coming out the top. Should have some foam all the way to the top and cap it. Ive done this with swing top and caps and have had beer stay carbonated for week or so

Everything @Jag75 mentioned, plus keeping it cold, and keep curious folks from opening lid, you should be fine. Assuming your swing top seals well, 10 days shouldn’t be an issue.

I have swing tops that keep ale carbonated for months. I cannot imagine one losing carbonation in a few days unless the seal is cut or something.

But then again, I bottle carb, so it may be a different animal from what you are doing.

I've routinely had swing top bottles stay carbed for months.

1. If filling from the keg, I first purge my keg. I fill directly from a picnic tap.

2. I put the keg back on air for about 2-3 seconds, so I have just enough pressure to push the beer out of my keg into the swing top, but not so much pressure that I lose a lot of beer to foaming.

3. Fill the swing top, allowing some of the beer to overflow. Stop filling for a few seconds to let the foam over flow.

4. Add more beer until there is no more foam coming out, and you can seal it on liquid, NOT FOAM. You want to have zero head space in the swing top.

Been doing this for 2 years now, and I've never had an undercarbed swing top. A week or two is fine, but I just drank a kolsch this past Sunday that I poured into a swing top 2 months ago. Perfect carb.

I've routinely had swing top bottles stay carbed for months.

1. If filling from the keg, I first purge my keg. I fill directly from a picnic tap.

2. I put the keg back on air for about 2-3 seconds, so I have just enough pressure to push the beer out of my keg into the swing top, but not so much pressure that I lose a lot of beer to foaming.

3. Fill the swing top, allowing some of the beer to overflow. Stop filling for a few seconds to let the foam over flow.

4. Add more beer until there is no more foam coming out, and you can seal it on liquid, NOT FOAM. You want to have zero head space in the swing top.

Been doing this for 2 years now, and I've never had an undercarbed swing top. A week or two is fine, but I just drank a kolsch this past Sunday that I poured into a swing top 2 months ago. Perfect carb.

I’m going to give swing tips a try.

Back