Keep ale warm in winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I've got an IPA in the primary right now using Nottingham. I know that the ideal fermentation temp is in the mid-60's and I am trying my best to keep it in that range. The issue I am having is keeping it there. I have a blanket wrapped around it to keep it warm but I find it can still drop below the 61 degree mark on my tape thermometer. If I use an electric blanket I am scared it will get to out since I am gone all day and asleep all night so I can't check it.

I keep my primaries in a normal room of the house that is the same temp as every other and I don't really want to keep moving it around to find a warmer spot because I don't want it sloshing around the place. Any tips out there on how to keep an ale the right temp in the winter?

You need to get a temp controller, thermowell, and a heat belt of somesort on the primary vessel. This will keep it at whatever temp you so choose. I know others use a rubbermaid of water with an aquarium heater, but I find that is just too messy with the water, etc etc...the temp controller and fermentation heater work very well.

HTH
Dan

get yourself a large trash can that you can easily set the carboy in. fill the trash can with water to about 1/2 to 3/4 up the carboy. go get yourself a fish tank heater from the local pet store. stick the fish tank heater in there and adjust the thermostat till you get the temp you want. turn around and walk away.

Back