Karma Citra IPA --> Help Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitnes10

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this recipe. I found it online, sounded pretty good to me, but I have made some adjustments.

Karma Citra IPA
6gal, ABV 6.58%, IBU 42.3, Color 8.7 SRM
OG: 1.06
FG: 1.01

Steep

.4kg Crystal Malt 10L
.5kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US

Boil
.5kg Corn Sugar (dextrose)
2kg Pale Liquid Extract

20g Warrior (45mins)
2kg Pale Liquid Extract (15mins Late addition)
20g Centennial (10mins)
30g Falconer's Flight (10mins)
.25tsp Irish Moss (10mins)
30g Falconer's Flight (5mins)
20g Centennial (5mins)
30g Falconer's Flight (1min)

1pkg US-05 Yeast

For IPA's I do FWH, whirlpool and dry hop

I've never heard of FWH (first wart hopping) I assume? What is that exactly?

I have done dry hopping most times with my IPA's and I whirlpooled once. This one didn't call for it, but is something easily added. Would you recommend adding more hops or taking out some late boil hops and using them for the whirlpool?

First wort hopping is throwing the hops as you light the boil. Maybe move the 10 min to a whirlpool. You can start by brewing the recipe as is than tinkering with it on future brew days.

Where is the Citra????

Here is the original recipe (for 5 gallons), from Northern Brewer website:

SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.75 lbs Caramel 40

EXTRACTS & OTHER FERMENTABLES
- 6 lbs Gold Malt Syrup
- 1 lb Gold DME

HOPS
- 0.5 oz Centennial (60 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (20 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (10 min)
- 2 oz Citra (Flame out–10 minute hop stand)

DRY HOPS — Add to secondary fermenter
one to two weeks before bottling day
- 1 oz Citra
- 1 oz Cascade

What are your thoughts on this recipe. I found it online, sounded pretty good to me, but I have made some adjustments.

Karma Citra IPA
6gal, ABV 6.58%, IBU 42.3, Color 8.7 SRM
OG: 1.06
FG: 1.01

Steep

.4kg Crystal Malt 10L
.5kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US

Boil
.5kg Corn Sugar (dextrose)
2kg Pale Liquid Extract

20g Warrior (45mins)
2kg Pale Liquid Extract (15mins Late addition)
20g Centennial (10mins)
30g Falconer's Flight (10mins)
.25tsp Irish Moss (10mins)
30g Falconer's Flight (5mins)
20g Centennial (5mins)
30g Falconer's Flight (1min)

1pkg US-05 Yeast

Just for your information, when you "steep" pale malt (which is a base malt that contains the enzymes for conversion of starch to sugar) you are doing a "mini mash" or a "partial mash" if the temperature of the steep is between about 145F and 162F. If you can manage the temperature to effect conversion here you are well on your way to all grain via BIAB. :ban:

Although in this recipe does the 2row add anything? I don't think you need it to convert the Crystal and it would be simpler to bump up the liquid extract a bit.

Just for your information, when you "steep" pale malt (which is a base malt that contains the enzymes for conversion of starch to sugar) you are doing a "mini mash" or a "partial mash" if the temperature of the steep is between about 145F and 162F. If you can manage the temperature to effect conversion here you are well on your way to all grain via BIAB. :ban:

So is the 2 Row that I added, really not doing anything for this brew? I'm bottling this weekend, but it will be good to know moving forward.

Thanks

Yes, the two row is not really adding taste or fermentables. the "specialty grains" that are used are really to add flavors other than what the extract can provide. Think of the extract as 2 row.. (since it really is) like Honey, or Chocolate etc.

if you are looking for your next recipe, try mixing up the citra with simcoe and amarillo. I have been playing with those sucessfully...

Yes, the two row is not really adding taste or fermentables. the "specialty grains" that are used are really to add flavors other than what the extract can provide. Think of the extract as 2 row.. (since it really is) like Honey, or Chocolate etc.

if you are looking for your next recipe, try mixing up the citra with simcoe and amarillo. I have been playing with those sucessfully...

Yeah my last IPA recipe I actually had those three hops in it, which are actually my 3 most commonly used hops along with Cascade. Was awesome! Just like playing around and seeing the different flavour profiles I can get. My next step is Partial Mash and I also am looking to start kegging when I can save up the money for the gear. Bottling is getting a little old now. haha

Back