Karl's 90 shilling FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
Checked the gravity of my 90 shilling last night after 2 weeks of fermentation and the gravity reads 1.012. I did use a 1L starter, but that seams awfully fast. I've read the FG is usually higher for this malty recipe, OG was 1.066.

primary fermentation is actually comepleted after a few days to a week the beer still needs to condition and the yeasties need to clean up, I found it best to leave in a primary for 1 month then bottle

One important thing people seem to forget to do is taste the beer. If the gravity is stable over three days AND it tastes good- them bottle. If it still tastes a bit green, wait another week and try again. Well...works good for me.....

OG of 1.066 and FG of 1.012, very nice.

Pez.

Checked the gravity for a third time and it's still at 1.012, took a swig and it tasted good (quite boozy, in fact), so in the bottles it went. For the first time ever I got 2 full cases of beer, plus one extra for my efforts. Very nice, tight yeast cake at the bottom. I'm sold on making yeast starters! When I got to the bottom of the bottling bucket I found a dead mosquito stuck to the inside of the bucket, I'm sure he died happy. In honor of the dearly departed I christened my brew Skottish Skeeter. At 7% ABV I'm not worried about contracting anything.

IMG_1244.jpg

Latest posts

Back