Karben4 Fantasy Factory IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

14thstreet

Reaction score
I do not claim this is the true recipe for this great Wisconsin IPA but I've gleaned some notes from articles, interviews, and field research and came up with this to share. Alternative hop schedule might be FWH/20/5. First attempt was spot on color wise and tastes similar to the original bottled version side-by-side.

Notes: Adjust for your system's efficiency, both in sugar extraction and hop bitterness utilization. I believe my utilization for this first batch was a bit weaker than normal (not a strong boil, use of hop bags), not to mention the unknown bitterness achieved at flameout/whirlpool/hopstand.

Version 1

5 gallons All-grain OG 1.064 @ 70% efficiency IBU ~65 SRM ~6

11.5lb (96%) Golden Promise
0.5lb (4%) Golden Naked Oats (I originally used Crystal 10/15L)

Mash 150-154F for 60 minutes or until full conversion
Add Gypsum to help pop the hops (and adjust water for proper pH)

0.5oz Galena 13%AA 60 minutes or FWH
0.75oz Galena 5 minutes
0.75oz Cluster 6.8%AA 5 minutes
0.5oz Citra 13%AA 5 minutes

Flameout/Hopstand 30 minutes (before active chilling)
0.75oz Galena
0.75oz Cluster
1oz Citra

3oz Citra Dryhop 3 days

IPA house yeast of choice (can't remember if I used US-05/Wy1056/Wy1272)

:mug:

Having had the brewer at a recent club meeting, the grain bill is different from what I provided. The beer is made with "85-90% Golden Promise, premium English caramalt, some munich, a touch of dextrin and german wheat", probably in decreasing amount of use.

The beer is also about 50% citra with cluster and galena as backup, providing some "backbone" or "synergy". Cluster for the "earthiness" and galena for "orange rind". The hop schedule is a complete guess but I'd probably stick with galena for bittering for the high alpha acids and some sort of mix of Cluster/Galena (and maybe Citra) as late hops. The dry hop could also be a mix as well but overall hopping is where you can experiment.

The yeast that Karben4 uses for their hoppy beers is Wyeast 1332, Wyeast 1968 for everything else.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back