Kaffir lime leaves for a summer wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's already a few threads out there for this topic, but I thought I'd try to draw some fresh input.

I came across a recipe for a summer wheat ale... it's a sample recipe that came with the BeerSmith software, and I wanted to try tweaking it a bit. Among other things, it calls for some lime juice. I thought about substituting the lime juice for additions of kaffir lime leaf at the end of the boil and possibly in secondary. I may even try adding a bit of fresh ginger root if it works with the lime leaf.

I'm doing a partial mash with 3 lbs extra light and 3 lbs wheat DME, and 1 lb 40L caramel for a little color and depth. I'm also bumping down the Cascade hop additions just a hair to 1 oz for 45 min, and .75 oz for 15 min, and I'll be pitching Nottingham dry yeast.

I just wondered if anyone has had success with kaffir lime leaves in their recipes. I also welcome any constructive criticism on the recipe as a whole.

Back