K-97 yeast for Kölsch, what's your favorite fermentation temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
When using Fermentis SafAle K-97 yeast for Kölsch, what fermentation temperature gives you the best results. I'm initially thinking of 63 degrees F. (17.2 degrees C.).

Probably not relevant to you any longer, but K-97 is almost identical to WLP 1007, so you may find more information about that strain. I read that Kölsch was fermented under pressure by some breweries, and so that's what I've done with K-97. I pitched the yeast around 80F, and let it cool down to 72F overnight in my basement, which is about 68F. It fermented vigorously under pressure (about 10-15 psi), and dropped from 72 to 68 degrees over the first few days. Fermentation completed in 10 days, and I put it on tap. It took about 10 more days for it to mature in the keg, but it tasted best after 3-4 weeks of cold storage. Very clean and bready aroma, typical of a good Kölsch.

I've used K-97 a few times, both for hoppy beers and "cleaner " ones. Anything from 62 to 70F would be good for a clean beer. I just finished drinking a Blonde Ale fermented with K-97 at around 72-74F and lightly kettled hopped with around 4 gr/l of German grown Chinook and Centennial. First 2-3 weeks it had a very light citrussy/cedary aroma and flavour, but dissipated as the beer was not overly hopped. At 5 weeks it was much cleaner. It's not fruity, but does have a sort of a bready/grainy kind of flavour, which I noticed with previous batches. Definitely a nice yeast, temeprature resitant, creates a huge krausen, very good attenuation. It takes time to clear, but does settle at the bottom with time. Works well in hazy, hoppy session beers too.

Back