Just tried our first brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fnldwn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for awhile trying to learn as much about brewing on the beginner's board while we brewed our first beers. Sorry that this is so long, but we are trying to figure out what we did here. Now that we've bottled and tried two batches, we have a few questions. We started out with two separate extract kits from our local brew store that both had specialty grains. The first we tried was an amber ale, and then a week later a blonde ale. I don't have the recipes here with me, so I can't tell you exactly what was in them. Here's what happened...

We did the amber ale first and everything seemed to go alright. We put it in the plastic pale that was included in our beginner's kit. We let it sit a week, and had a stable gravity, so we transferred it to a glass carboy per the instructions. At this point we made the blonde ale, and put that in the plastic pale after cleaning and sanitizing. We did not use a secondary fermenter for the blonde ale, but left it in the primary. We waited 2 more weeks, and then bottled both batches at the same time. We tasted them before we put them in the bottles, and found the blonde ale to taste pretty good, but the amber to taste somewhat funny.

After two weeks in the bottles we decided to try one of each. The blonde ale had very good carbonation, but was pretty bland. There was very little flavor, except for a little hop flavor at the end. We were very close with our Gravity, and it doesn't taste like its been contaminated, but it doesn't taste like a whole lot. Will this change with a little more age on it? Another brewer told us that the kit might not have been a good recipe.

As for the amber ale, it tasted terrible. It tastes like a sour apple cider, and has no carbonation. We're going to let it sit for a while, but I'm guessing that we contaminated this one. We used the one step sanitizer it came with, would we better off using something different? Also, when we cooled the wort in an ice bath for quite a while, we did not cover it. Is the ice bath the best way to go for a 5 gallon recipe, and would not covering it have an effect?

I forgot to add, thanks for any help. We appreciate all the advice we can get as we are still very new at this.

I suspect your first batch was contaminated, based on the taste. Did you see any airlock bubbling? You said you took an FG reading, how did it compare to the OG? Any weird stuff growing on top of the amber ale?

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I don't have our notebook here, but the final gravity was definitely less than what our original was, but slightly higher than the suggested final gravity in the directions. There was a great deal of airlock activity within 24 hours of brewing. As far as I can remember there was nothing that seemed out of the ordinary on top of the beer. That's not to say there wasn't, but I don't remember it looking different than what I expected, or the blonde ale. Thanks again for responding.

I can't give comments on your beer without knowing more, but stick with it. I'm guessing fermentation temps is your problem? I've been going a year and half and just feel like i'm making good beer now. It's worth the wait. :mug:

Get some star san for sanitizing, though I don't think that's your problem.

Don't cover your wort when cooling, but don't get anything in it either.

You know where I think the problem lies. Ferment 6 degrees cooler than what you want and rack it at 10 days(ferment should be done for the styles you brewed at this point). This approach has helped me the most. Others may disagree. Just my 2 c.

From How To Brew
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acetaldehyde
A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition.
[/FONT]

What yeasts are more prone to producing Acetaldehyde? Sorry to thread jump but my German Amber Ale has a bit of green apple and it has been kegged for almost 6 weeks.

RDWHAHB. If it is not turning out yet, then let it sit. Consider a wort chiller, adding ice cubes isnt the most ideal way of cooling wort. You said your final gravity was higher than expected. I have had that problem too, I contribute it to my fermentation temperatures fluctuating too much.

i've used nottingham dry yeast for my last 2 batches, would that play a part in the long lasting green apple taste?

You need to let your beer sit in the primary for at least 3 weeks before taking a gravity reading. Your yeast needs that time to clean up off flavors, it'll make your beer better, trust me! I don't use secondaries unless I'm racking on to fruit or oak or something similar.

i've used nottingham dry yeast for my last 2 batches, would that play a part in the long lasting green apple taste?

My German Amber Ale was made from a kit that included the same yeast. I wonder if that is a characteristic of that strain. In my opinion it is not a desired taste in my Amber Ale. It's not over powering but it's there on the finish when you drink it.

Nottingham was the default yeast and it was my first batch. I didn't know how yeast can en part certain flavors. I don't think I will be using it again.

It's not the Notty giving you the flavors, it's a clean ale yeast. It's the Green-ness of the beer, you need to let it sit longer IMHO.

even lighter beers benefit from a bit of aging. Budweiser's "Born On" date is just a marketing trick - it's many, many weeks after brewing, just the earliest date they consider it consumable.
Develop your own Born On date - 2 months after brewing - or more...

Thanks to everyone for replying to this, and for all of the advice. It seems that it may still need to sit for a while longer. One other question, is the sour taste we are getting consistent with the flavor of Acetaldehyde. It tastes like apples, but also extremely sour. Thanks again for the help.

I just tried my second batch (robust porter) and it tastes wonderful, so i'm not sure exactly what happened with the first batch. Possibly old ingredients maybe

Latest posts

Back