Just tried my first 'sip' of Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Ive had a batch of Apfelwein in the primary for close to a month now, and I can see the beginnings of its clearing. Bored and anxious (yes the best of being a noob got to me) so I pulled out the wine thief and took a sample to ensure that it didnt taste like Satans goat anus. And well, it didnt...

I can see where they say to save judgement for your 3rd glass. My initial impression is yes, it is rather dry and is reminiscent of sour apples, or like a dry champange. But as I processed all of this I could see the potential and why its so popular. Hell, I think I might have even caught a wee bit of a buzz from that little sample. (I think its just a buzz of noobism and I didnt ruin my brew (yet) after all!)

I cant wait til I bottle this stuff and let it sit for a bit more!
-Me

Did you start another batch yet. It goes fast. When you finish one batch start another.

Heh. I gave a friend his a taste of this stuff. He makes wine too. He told me to put acid and tannins in next time.

While his cider is good, it's about as clear as mud.

I just started drinking some of mine last night too. I started mine on Nov. 2nd, but it never did become crystal clear like so many of the pics that others have posted. I used brown sugar, so i suspect that may be the cause of that issue. But, something very odd happened, and I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. The apfelwein has the taste and smell of buttered popcorn...... It's not enough to make me want to stop drinking it, but just a curiousity.

I made mine in July and just tapped it last Thursday. It's going quick! It's very dry, but extremely addictive after you get past the first few sips. Everyone who tastes it makes a "sour" face on the first sip. After that they always have at least two glasses!

I'm making another batch for next year after I get back from Christmas vacation. :tank:

I made mine in July and just tapped it last Thursday. It's going quick! It's very dry, but extremely addictive after you get past the first few sips. Everyone who tastes it makes a "sour" face on the first sip. After that they always have at least two glasses!

I'm making another batch for next year after I get back from Christmas vacation. :tank:

What brand of juice do you people use that you think it is sour?

I've used several but mostly use motts and I wouldn't describe it as sour at all... even at four weeks. It's a bit tangy, but not sour at all. Everyone who's tried it basically inhales it.

My brother who's home on leave from the navy tried a sample of a batch I have going now and was literally threatening me to open up the bucket and bottle some for him.

When I went to my car today he put an empty Vodka bottle on my seat.

My brother who's home on leave from the navy tried a sample of a batch I have going now and was literally threatening me to open up the bucket and bottle some for him.

When I went to my car today he put an empty Vodka bottle on my seat.

you did explain to him how easy it is to make he could make some on the ship while out to see and other then the rino farts some people complain of noone would be the wiser ;-)

you did explain to him how easy it is to make he could make some on the ship while out to see and other then the rino farts some people complain of noone would be the wiser ;-)

They have plenty of bilge wine they can make up there ;) And being onboard ship you will NEVER have it clear as the rocking and rolling of the ship will keep it cloudy.

Mention something like this to the Chiefs Mess - Im sure THEY wouldnt have a problem firing up a batch of this ;)
Cause what happens in the Chiefs Mess- STAYS in the Chiefs Mess! :)
-Me

Back