Just took my first gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
So I just took my first reading with my hydrometer on my english brown. OMG...it smells DE-LIC-IOUS!

My first reading after 6 full days in the fermenter was a 1.010...meaning we're just about done :ban:

Basically, rather than take a sample, I just popped the lid and dropped in the hydro after sanitizing it with a bleech solution. Is there anything wrong with doing it that way. It couldn't have taken any longer than a few minutes, and I think that the only advantage to actually dipping a sample cup in the beer is it would make the gravity easier to read.

FG on this batch says 1.008-1.015...so I guess that means we're pretty much done. If there's no change tomorrow with another reading, I'll be transferring to the keg on Sunday. From there...I'll force carbonate at serving PSI for 2-3 weeks.

:tank:

Congrats!

First beer - one week? Maybe think about planning/brewing your next one, and leave that one sitting 2-3 more weeks. You'll be more pleased with the results.

Your FG sounds fine - so technically the yeast have done the fermenting part - but not the conditioning part yet. My browns usually sit 4-6 weeks before I do anything with them.

Good brewing!

The gravity can be easier to read in a tube rather than in the beer.

Really if you can read it in the same amount of time it would take you to pull enough of a sample I think its pretty much a wash but I know others would disagree. Either way you are sticking something in the beer that has to be sanitized. In the case of a thief you are stirring up the air and continually plunging a damp object in the beer rather than throwing in your hydro.

If it works for you then just do it. :)

It's a bit risky using bleach, but as long as it was cleaned and sanitary, there shouldn't really be any issues. The yeast forms a layer of CO2 during fermentation that protects the brew from most airborne issues, so you should be OK. I'd recommend using Iodophor or StarSan from now on, considering bleach is a bit outdated for food sanitization.

yeah you're in the ballpark for FG obviously but the best way to determine FG is not one reading falling in the estimated FG range that your recipe calls for. rather, you should technically have 3 days of constant SG readings to know for sure the fermentation cycle of yeast life cycle the has pretty much ended and the sedimentation process has begun. but that's just being technical. yes, you could bottle sunday if you really can't wait. but, remember the yeast life cycle has three phases: respiration, fermentation, sedimentation. you've completed 2 of those. it's best to let that sedimentation process work through for the next week before bottling (I am at 7 days of fermentation and am waiting until next sunday to bottle).

but, if it's your first beer, you probably can't wait another 2 days...let alone a week. i've been there. you'll be fine if you bottle after 3 days of consecutive SG readings.

It's a bit risky using bleach, but as long as it was cleaned and sanitary, there shouldn't really be any issues. The yeast forms a layer of CO2 during fermentation that protects the brew from most airborne issues, so you should be OK. I'd recommend using Iodophor or StarSan from now on, considering bleach is a bit outdated for food sanitization.

Pickin up some star san tomorrow at my brew shop...along with some slip top bottles:mug:

Back