Just the latest victim of the old 1.02 extract stuckage...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpar345

Reaction score
I know stuckage isn't a word. :drunk:

Left in the basement for 3 weeks, which admittedly got too cold as time went on. Started at 64 degrees but got really cold here and got down to 59-60. I brought it upstairs where it's 72 degrees but should I even bother waiting for it to drop further or did the yeast pack it in by now?

If the yeast went dormant because it was too cold, then if its only been a few weeks, the yeast may finish up. Give em a week and take another sample. Also, swirl up the fermenter a bit to get the yeast back in suspension.

Moved it upstairs, seems to be working in that I believe some CO2 is forming, when I press down gently on the lid it seems there is some pressure released through the airlock. I'll take another gravity reading this weekend and see if it helped, if not I'm still bottling it. I only have one bucket and I want to get started on a hefe.

Moved it upstairs, seems to be working in that I believe some CO2 is forming, when I press down gently on the lid it seems there is some pressure released through the airlock. I'll take another gravity reading this weekend and see if it helped, if not I'm still bottling it. I only have one bucket and I want to get started on a hefe.

Getting your beer warmer will force some some of the CO2 to come out of the solution. This does not mean that you have fermentation. Check with hydrometer.

Sounds like the higher temp's making it finish up. So check it this weekend as you planned. It should've dropped at least a couple points. I did that with mu Burton ale,& it dropped .002. But I also agree about off gassing. You'll likely see more bubbles from off gasing initially,besides that of fermentation finishing up,ime.

I know stuckage isn't a word. :drunk:

Left in the basement for 3 weeks, which admittedly got too cold as time went on. Started at 64 degrees but got really cold here and got down to 59-60. I brought it upstairs where it's 72 degrees but should I even bother waiting for it to drop further or did the yeast pack it in by now?

what brand of extract did you use? was is LME? i've noticed certain brands of LME like to peeter out around 1.02, others ferment down like they should.
i also agree with rousing the yeast and warming the fermenter up some to see if you can get the yeasts to knock a couple more points off.

Thanks for the info, I'll check this weekend to see if it helped any. Now that the basement is colder I need to find ways of keeping my bucket warm without spending too much cash.

what brand of extract did you use? was is LME? i've noticed certain brands of LME like to peeter out around 1.02, others ferment down like they should.
i also agree with rousing the yeast and warming the fermenter up some to see if you can get the yeasts to knock a couple more points off.

It's a kit from Austin, so it's their LME. Soooo ready to go all-grain but I need a bit more time/experience/cash before I delve.

It's a kit from Austin, so it's their LME. Soooo ready to go all-grain but I need a bit more time/experience/cash before I delve.

hmmm, AHS's extract should be good and fresh and ferment down the way you expect. try the warming and rousing, keep it warm (68ish) for a week and check back, that may do the trick.

Back