Just starting out: AG vs. Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golson3

Reaction score
I've got some minimal experience from helping a friend with a few brews a few years ago, but am still extremely novice. I'm getting ready to buy my own equipment and get started. Between the time I'd helped with those brews and now, I've been lurking here and have read "How to Brew" and "Designing Great Beers". I feel like I have a basic understanding of what is supposed to happen with an AG brew. What do our more experienced home brewers here think about just jumping into AG from the get go? It doesn't seem like I'll have to replace any equipment if I start with extract then switch over later, so there isn't really an economic incentive, but I would like to have more control over my beers. Is a newbie starting with AG asking for trouble, or is it worth it to just dive right in?

Meant to put this in too: I realize this question has probably been asked about a billion times on here, so if you know of a thread where this is discussed in detail, a link to that would be marvelous. Its just the search terms "new/novice", "all grain" and "extract" will return way too many threads.

If you feel comfortable doing all grain then go for it. Be prepared for it to not be omfg amazeballs though. An all grain system needs to be dialed in and calibrated before you can really turn out great beers. I would (and do) keep about 5 lbs of dme on hand for making starters and correcting gravities. Lastly, give yourself an hour more time than you think it should take.

I've got some minimal experience from helping a friend with a few brews a few years ago, but am still extremely novice. I'm getting ready to buy my own equipment and get started. Between the time I'd helped with those brews and now, I've been lurking here and have read "How to Brew" and "Designing Great Beers". I feel like I have a basic understanding of what is supposed to happen with an AG brew. What do our more experienced home brewers here think about just jumping into AG from the get go? It doesn't seem like I'll have to replace any equipment if I start with extract then switch over later, so there isn't really an economic incentive, but I would like to have more control over my beers. Is a newbie starting with AG asking for trouble, or is it worth it to just dive right in?

Meant to put this in too: I realize this question has probably been asked about a billion times on here, so if you know of a thread where this is discussed in detail, a link to that would be marvelous. Its just the search terms "new/novice", "all grain" and "extract" will return way too many threads.

Look in to BIAB. It's an all-grain method that couldn't be easier. If you can heat water and make tea, you can make beer by BIAB. There's a sub-forum here dedicated to it. As a bonus, BIAB uses the same equipment as extract, with the addition of a bag for the kettle.

Dive in. Keep to simple recipes at first. Focus on process... hitting temperatures, volumes, timing, etc.

Look in to BIAB. It's an all-grain method that couldn't be easier. If you can heat water and make tea, you can make beer by BIAB. There's a sub-forum here dedicated to it. As a bonus, BIAB uses the same equipment as extract, with the addition of a bag for the kettle.

Dive in. Keep to simple recipes at first. Focus on process... hitting temperatures, volumes, timing, etc.

I've been seeing quite a bit on here about BIAB. What are the downsides? I mean, there has to be some if people are still doing it another way, right? Just seems like one of those things that's true good to be true.

I've been seeing quite a bit on here about BIAB. What are the downsides? I mean, there has to be some if people are still doing it another way, right? Just seems like one of those things that's true good to be true.

Cleaning the stinking bag!

I brewed extract for about a year and then decided to switch to all grain. Being in a small apartment and after some research I decided to go BIAB. I really can't see a downside to it. You can make all of the same beer just as well as a 3 vessel system.

+1.

I've never done anything except BIAB all-grain. I do small batches (1-2 gallons) and am having a great time with it.

If you go BIAB....make sure you have a way not to make a mess on your stove when you rinse the grain. I always made a mess, went to all grain with a round rubbermaid cooler, no mess.

Just looked at some videos on AG (batch sparging in particular) and it seems super easy, especially with brewing software. I guess it seems more complicated when reading about it, but seeing it in action, its not so hard. I'll probably go with a converted cooler setup, since space really isn't an issue and I'd rather not have wort all over my kitchen, that's how you get ants.

Back