Just started my second batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmc

Reaction score
Thanks to several members on this forum my first batch came out fine despite having a leaky valve in my pressure keg. Anyway, last night I brewed up my second batch, an Irish Ale. It's bubbling away beside me here as I type, so all is going well. But just wondering now what (if any) are the chances of me launching the airlock into the ceiling? Is there a period of time when it's more likely to happen, or can it happen at any stage during the ferment? I'm heading away for a few days work, so the girlf is gonna have to mind this, would be good to be able to tell her what to expect...
Cheers
Ken

kenmc said:
Thanks to several members on this forum my first batch came out fine despite having a leaky valve in my pressure keg. Anyway, last night I brewed up my second batch, an Irish Ale. It's bubbling away beside me here as I type, so all is going well. But just wondering now what (if any) are the chances of me launching the airlock into the ceiling? Is there a period of time when it's more likely to happen, or can it happen at any stage during the ferment? I'm heading away for a few days work, so the girlf is gonna have to mind this, would be good to be able to tell her what to expect...
Cheers
Ken

I wouldn't worry about it unless you used a starter. You may want to consider a blow-off tube instead of the airlock. Do you know how to do the blow-off tube?

Yeah I've seen a blow off setup somewhere on the web. Didn't use a starter, so hopefully it'll be grand. I know I'll be in trouble though if she has to decorate while I'm away :)

Oh another question - I took a hydrometer reading just before I put the lid on and it was 1035 - which means absolutely nothing to me! Is that high, low, average for a starting reading?
Also, I was thinking of leaving the hydrometer in there, so that I could take readings without having to worry about introducing infection - is this a bad or good idea - didn't do it this time, but will know for the future...
Cheers
Ken

kenmc said:
Oh another question - I took a hydrometer reading just before I put the lid on and it was 1035 - which means absolutely nothing to me! Is that high, low, average for a starting reading?
Also, I was thinking of leaving the hydrometer in there, so that I could take readings without having to worry about introducing infection - is this a bad or good idea - didn't do it this time, but will know for the future...
Cheers
Ken

The hydro reading sounds a bit low--but as Janx says a hydrometer just worries new brewers more than necessary. It could possibly be you took a reading at NOT 60 degrees, and need to do a slight correction.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm betting the finished product will taste like beer. :p

Ah I'm not worried about it, just curious as to how it all works really!
Didn't get a measure on the temp, but it would have been a bit higher than 60 I reckon, but I couldn't tell you how much higher....
Just interested in working out the amount of alcohol in the batch so I can tell ppl when they ask!
Cheers
Ken

I wouldn't leave the hydrometer in the fermenter. As soon as it begins fermenting, you won't be able to see it anyway. As fermentation slows, you'll have gunk all around the scale, and won't be able to read it.

Thanks George, I was thinking that would be most likely to happen anyway, didn't imagine that it could be bad as much as pointless.
Anyway, 2 days in it's bubbling away still - about once every 8-10 seconds. The "burps" seem to be a bit smaller now than a day ago though - there were some serious belches at the start - is this normal enough behaviour?
Cheers, and thanks for all the answers!

kenmc said:
Cheers
Ken

1.035 sounds pretty low, but it isn't really important to fixate on the SG readings.

Here is a trick I read somewhere that allows you to take daily SG readings without taking new samples or opening the fermentor and it has served me well on two batches so far. Once you pitch the yeast and attach the lid, shake the bucket for 5 min or more to aerate the wort and then remove the top and with a sanitized glass measuring cup pull an 8oz sample. Close the fermentor and place the sample in a clean glass jar or bottle. This will be your sample and you can take a SG reading from it everyday. Just return the sample to the jar. It could become infected, but it won't change the readings and you're not going to drink it. My OG and FG using the sample was .001 off from the readings I got from the wort itself before and after fermentation.

Back