Just kegged for first time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KELLEHERC

Reaction score
I have read many different opinions...

1) I did not use priming sugar.
I set to about 12 psi and put keg and Co2 in fridge.
Am I correct? If so about how long for conditioning and carb?
(Scotch Ale)

2) I assumed and left Co2 attached with pressure set to 12 psi?
I read some people set the pressure and then disconnect and only reconnect to serve?

Thanks

Good thread on keg carbonation here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73328

You should set the CO2 pressure relative to your beer temperature to (eventually) have the carbonation stabilize at your desired level. Use our favorite carbonation table, find your beer temperature on the Y-axis, scan across that row until you find the closest carbonation level (in volumes of CO2, where 2.4-2.5 is about typical for most ales) to what you desire, then run up that column to find the correct CO2 pressure to use.

As for how long, there's a chart on the first page of the linked thread that has a green line corresponding to the so-called "set and forget" method of using a single CO2 pressure - the same pressure found using the table above - and letting physics take its course. I always use that method, and it consistently takes about 2.5 weeks for a freshly filled keg to reach a fully carbonated condition.

Finally, people that disconnect the gas lines to their kegs are likely trying to avoid dumping a cylinder of gas through a leak in their system. Otherwise, on a well-tuned and leak-free system there's no good reason to ever shut off the gas...

Cheers!

One thing I always do is check for leaks. I use Star San but also the bubble soap kids use. Every time I make a change, I check for leaks, Why do I do this, Well lets say I learned the hard way.

There are 2 methods most use
Set it and forget takes a couple weeks as stated or,
30 psi for 48 hours,stut off gas, purge keg set to serving psi usually around 12 psi but use the chart. This will get you drinking in a couple days. The carb will balance out and get better over a few days..either way works fine

For what its worth I have no idea how 30 psi became the norm. I read someone going 45 for 18 hours,I just did 2 batches at 40 psi for 24 with the same results as 30 for 48 hours...shrug

Thanks for replies - exactly the info I was looking for
You got some great advice, and all of it spot on. IMO, the hardest part about set and forget (which is what I do,) is staying away from the beer long enough for it to get fully carbed. Since you've done a Scotch Ale, they are already tasting great at 1.8 - 2.0 volumes, so it may be a challenge! Ed
:mug:

32 psi 48hours does the trick for me. Then purge and set at 8 psi for serving.

If you end up over carbing can you release it out of the pressure release valve slowly over a few days? Or are you screwed?

If you end up over carbing can you release it out of the pressure release valve slowly over a few days? Or are you screwed?

No, you're fine. Just release the valve several times a day.
To accelerate the process, you can pull the keg out of the fridge and let it warm up a little - it will degas much faster (but then you have to chill it again).

Also, as far as serving PSI recommendations, that is largely a function of your setup, i.e. how long your serving lines are.
Since I don't have a kegerator setup yet, and I serve out of my beer cooler (an upright freezer with thermostat) using cobra/picnic taps (only about a foot long), anything over 3-4 PSI makes a gusher. In fact, I usually end up setting it at about 3 PSI for serving.

[...]Also, as far as serving PSI recommendations, that is largely a function of your setup, i.e. how long your serving lines are. [...]

The better paradigm is to tune the line lengths to allow the appropriate CO2 pressure to maintain the desired carbonation level...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back