Just had my first ever sip of Mead (Green)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I started a mead experiment close to 3 months ago with 8 or 9 lbs of honey, couple of packages of freshly chopped pineapple, and some spices. This sucker took off during fermentation (I had to rig a blow off initially) and eventually mellowed (and kind of worried me due to lack of activity) Well, fast forward 3 months and most of the fruit has dropped to the bottom, and it looks as if there is a bit of unfermented honey on the bottom of the carboy (could just be the other lees)

At any rate, it has started to clear near the bottom where the fruit has fallen but the rest is still a bit cloudy. I took my very first ever sample of mead today cause I was curious to see if
A. This batch was ruined for what ever reason.
B. What does mead (even green mean) taste like?

I must say - I kinda like it! Still rather sweet, and I can definitely taste the honey profile, but it has a bit of a kick! That little sample made me feel 'tingly' like the first time I tried my HB or AW. I think that once this stuff clears enough to bottle, its going to end up mighty tasty!
Just thought I would share!
-Me

Congrats for sure, glad to hear your first experiment is going to be enough to make you happy (and make you make more)

congrats stick at least one bottle back! I drank my last bottle of JAOM a few weeks ago after it aging for ~6 - 8 Months and Wow, I wish I would have set them all back. They were all good, but no where near that last bottle.

no hangover will kick your ass harder than one inspired by a mead bender.

you definitely wanna drink it like wine...not like beer.

drink a pint of my mead and you'll wake up nekkid somewhere in the Mexican desert.

congrats stick at least one bottle back! I drank my last bottle of JAOM a few weeks ago after it aging for ~6 - 8 Months and Wow, I wish I would have set them all back. They were all good, but no where near that last bottle.

So far, the oldest I've had is nearly 2 years. And yes, it just gets better. I recently bottled my first batch of JAOM clone, and it has some of the character that my original batch had after about 3 months. I'm wondering how long I can ignore these bottles.

drink a pint of my mead and you'll wake up nekkid somewhere in the Mexican desert.

or coming to butt naked chasing a herd of reindeer with your dingus out in some Forest in Norway...
Mead, I think... is why the Vikings were such a surly bunch.

heh heh... reminds me of the old Irish song about that most potent of ciders, "Johnny Jump Up".

Oh never, oh never, oh never again
If I live 'til a hundred or a hundred and ten
I fell to the ground and I couldn't get up
After drinking a pint of the Johnny Jump Up.
:cross:

+100 on that.
I bottled up my black raspberry mead the other day and had about a pint left in the bottom of the bottling bucket. The mead was nice an clear so no point in leaving it go to waste. I poured it into a glass and "sampled" it while capping/corking the bottles of mead. It was very good and went down way to easy. Next thing I know I am stumbling around and laughing at nothing.
Woke up the next morning with a bad headache and for the first time in my life threw up due to a hangover.

OK I did have a 12oz bottle of Braggot with dinner earlier in the evening. :drunk:

Craig

Mead just gets better with time. I find 3 years is amazing to have, just ages very well. I still have a few bottles of 7 year left, goes down sooo smooth.

Back