Just got off night shift...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowan57

Reaction score
I have never worked nightshift before but did this week.. Last shift last night, now on day shift tomorrow. Slept all day today, now body clock all screwed up! I see movies & HB in my future tonight.

I feel your pain. I do one week of 05:30-14:30, then a week of 14:30-23:30. The transition from getting home at midnight to having to wake up at 04:30 sucks, even with a weekend in between. I try and force myself to wake up early on Sunday before the early shift, but that rarely seems to happen.

Night shift is brutal - I work 12 hour nights (7pm to 7am) doing floor nursing on our Cardiac Rehab Unit at our local hospital....wreaks havoc trying to adjust to real world time on nights off. Also hard to reset yourself when you've been off a few and have to go back in...My wife is pi$$ed at times that I'm "always tired"......and I seem to be, she can't relate as she's a dayshifter.

I was on night shift for a long time from 5pm to 5am,7 nights a week. In winter months,I never really saw the sun. It was like being a vampire or something. Then first shift from like 11pm to 8:30am,arriving at the bar for drafts & shots of tequila at like 8:45am or so. The sight if which put guys off their coffee & breakfast. I dodn't get on day shift till they eliminated night shift when I had some 10 years in. I've worked every shift there is in some 31 years. Sometimes 3 different ones in the same week. I'm glad I was at least young when most of that happened.

Feel your pain bud, 2 weeks of 6-6 day shift then 2 weeks 6-6 night shift constant rotation. Im three years in and still cant adjust very well my first week of nights. Lotta coffee and a brisk run around our tank farm to wake the F up.

Turns out my body didn't mind coming off, I slept from 8am - 4pm, then again from 11pm-7am!

I've worked nights 11-7 and 7-7 for the past 25 years in the hospital ICU and now the field as a medic. Buddy, take care of your body because seeing the moon during your lunch hour is brutal over time. I know for those who have family obligations it's hard to juggle kids, school and sports, but somehow you need to dedicate your sleep time and stick to a schedule. Black out the windows, try to keep your tail off Facebook and Youtube - and yes even HBT in the morning after work. Ok, I fail miserably at that too. lol Good luck to ya, it's something you'll never get used to, but learn to tolerate.

In the morning when I get home, I'll cook me some supper and open a homebrew. It's 5 o'clock somewhere right? lol

I've worked nights 11-7 and 7-7 for the past 25 years in the hospital ICU and now the field as a medic. Buddy, take care of your body because seeing the moon during your lunch hour is brutal over time. I know for those who have family obligations it's hard to juggle kids, school and sports, but somehow you need to dedicate your sleep time and stick to a schedule. Black out the windows, try to keep your tail off Facebook and Youtube - and yes even HBT in the morning after work. Ok, I fail miserably at that too. lol Good luck to ya, it's something you'll never get used to, but learn to tolerate.

In the morning when I get home, I'll cook me some supper and open a homebrew. It's 5 o'clock somewhere right? lol

25 years on night shift!?

You're a better man than I am. I did it for a year and a half and it blew goats.

My favorite reason back then was that it keeps me away from the pencil pushing, white-shirt, bean counters. Tonight, 2 1/2 decades later, I'm Looking at a desk full of folders while sifting though reports eating my words.

I worked noon to midnight and midnight to noon when I was on the boats. Two weeks of one and then two weeks of the other. I'd make crew change at 6am, go home and sleep until early afternoon. Get up and then be on day walker hours for two weeks. Make crew change at 6am and go back to 12s for a month. I was in my 20s and it really didn't seem to matter then when I was awake or asleep, so long as I got some sleep at sometime.

Now days, being awake right now is rare. I hardly ever make it to Letterman anymore. That sucks when I work the occasional overnight. Much past 10pm and I'm walking dead.

Back