Just got an O2 tank...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenmeister

Reaction score
and the NPT connection to my CO2 Regulator isn't the same. I have been using the special reverse theaded regulator with my Home Depot O2 tanks, but this looks like a standard NPT thread, but doesn't work. Is there a special O2 tank I need to get, or do I need to get a different regulator?

Some pictures of said regulator and new cylinder might just be helpful.

In advance of that...if you are going from the red cylinders to something larger you may have either a cga870 (small cylinders) or a cga540 (larger) cylinder valve.
My 20cf O2 cylinder sports the latter.

Neither of those is NPT, btw. cga 540 uses a 3/4”-16UNF-2A thread, while cga 870 uses 1/2"-14 NGT...

Cheers!

See photo. I am not sure what kind of thread it is, but I do not know these cylinders either.

O2 Tank.jpg

I think so. The receipt for the tank says 5-lb high pressure cylinder. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should get as far as connections?

I think you're going to need something like this, which is what I have connected to my tank. Then I just have some hose connected to the barb, and that connects to my aeration wand.

Clearly a cga 540 compatible regulator is required. Can be simple and relatively inexpensive, or not so inexpensive with an integrated flow meter.

At the low end you could go with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Nuvälsa-Ozone-Therapy-Oxgen-Regulator/dp/B07K36793T which is similar to the item linked above. At the other end you could go with something like this: Regulator for Oxygen Flowmeter with 1/2 - 15 LPM - CGA-540 Nut and Nipple Inlet Connection

I bought one of the latter off eBay around 13 years ago, having recognized I had been hooked up to the exact same unit in hospital once, so I figured it was reliable :)

oxygen_rig_02.jpg

Cheers!

I think you're going to need something like this, which is what I have connected to my tank. Then I just have some hose connected to the barb, and that connects to my aeration wand.
I have one similar to that, also green, but it adjusts from 1/32 l/m to 8 l/m. I've only been using between 1/32 l/m (yeast starters) for 4-8 minutes and 1/8 l/m (5.5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gallon brew bucket) also for 4-8 minutes.
That's what I would look for.

1/2 l/m is way too fast, causing large bubbles on the surface, which is O2 that didn't get dissolved, and is lost to the air. A mere rippling, breaking the surface, is plenty fast already.

Now... 20 cu.ft. of O2 is a large volume (28.3 liters per cu.ft.), so even wasting 3/4 of it may not be a big issue. I reckon at my frugal usage rate, that 40 cu.ft tank will last around a lifetime of oxygenating wort. :bigmug:

Latest posts

Back