Just got a Festa Brew West Coast IPA kit today, has anyone tried it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmmm. Nope, but I am interested in how it turns out. I would buy some better yeast and not use the generic ale yeast that they use for all their kits.

1. Most of them are pretty damn good.

2. The outcome of the beer is really up to you and your execution of the brewing process than it is about the recipe.

3. Look for expired products (malt extracts, dates on yeast packages, etc). From the kits I've used recently, most of them are on point.

Good luck with your brew :mug:

I am currently working my way through a batch, and am very impressed with the product. It helps to let it warm up a bit in the glass to fully develop its flavors. All in all a fine brew at a very reasonable price. BTW - my technique is 3 weeks ferment at 64F, bottling at low carb - about 2.9, then three weeks bottle conditioning. Enjoy.

There's no extract. You dump in a pail, add yeast and voila!

so they give you pre made wort and you dry hop it? sounds ridiculous and i don't know why anyone would ever want to do this. youre not making beer you're pitching yeast. why even try? go to the store and buy some beer, its just about the same thing.

@ricshayne

No you do not dry hop this beer. It is a finished wort that you add yeast to. Saying that, you don't live in Canada do you? The cheapest 12 oz bmc brew around here is about $2.00 a bottle. These beers compare to good European beers - the Czech Pilsner is a delight - and cost about $1.00 a 500ml bottle. A 500ml Hefeweizen runs about $3.25.

Good taste and savings, what's wrong with that?

Beer here is crazy expensive. Who cares if it's "simple". If it tastes good and gets me drunk that's fine by me. Beer snob.

I've done this one a few times and it's quite good considering the little amount of time you need to spend on it. If I recall it comes with US-05 so there's no problems with the yeast like most other kits. I found it a good way to get some of the processes down as a beginner to the hobby but the selection is quite limited.

I just cant understand why someone would brew one of these even in Canada. Twice the price of ordering a good extract recipe kit from Ontario Beer Kegs (they send you the DME. LME, Yeast, specialty grains and hops) just saying.

If they really do taste amazing I would be interested to know. Cheers!

Why would you go to McDonald's when you can make a hamburger at home? Price, convinience, time. Who cares if it's easy if it tastes great? Why you gotta piss on someone's parade? I'm trying this one, the previous brew was an extract and the next one will bean all grains. So what?

Ah it tastes great? If it honestly tasted great I would be curious about trying it maybe... I think it was $45 for the kit tho at my LBS.

The Festa Brew West Coast is good, nice and hoppy. I started with these because they're easy and I had a 1 year old kid and no time. Dump pre-made wort into pail (which aerates it beautifully), rehydrate yeast and you're done in 30 minutes or so and it's 6 gallons. I have had 2 batches that did not turn out (none since thankfully) so there may be some quality control issues.
At $45 for 6gal, I don't find it too unreasonable, most extract recipes I've done are $27-40 for 5gal. There's just very little selection from Festa Brew.

The Festa Brew West Coast is good, nice and hoppy. I started with these because they're easy and I had a 1 year old kid and no time. Dump pre-made wort into pail (which aerates it beautifully), rehydrate yeast and you're done in 30 minutes or so and it's 6 gallons. I have had 2 batches that did not turn out (none since thankfully) so there may be some quality control issues.
At $45 for 6gal, I don't find it too unreasonable, most extract recipes I've done are $27-40 for 5gal. There's just very little selection from Festa Brew.

Found out they have an Oktoberfest brew called Marzen Lager . My favorite beer of all times is a Beau Night Marzen. I already pre ordered 2 batches. Lol

I've made this kit before and I loved it. I will probably make it again if I can find one, as I believe its seasonal.

As for comparing this kit to Ontario Beer Keg's kits, I've made a few of their recipes ( Including their American IPA and West Coast IPA ), and while they were decent, they didn't come anywhere being near as good as this one. 500 ml micro brew beers here in Quebec where I live go between 4-6 dollars a bottle, and a kit like this ( 45 bucks ) nets about 43 pints, so just over a dollar a pint. A steal in my opinion!

I hear their Brown Ale is delicious, as well as their double oatmeal stout! I've yet to try them!

I've made this kit before and I loved it. I will probably make it again if I can find one, as I believe its seasonal.

As for comparing this kit to Ontario Beer Keg's kits, I've made a few of their recipes ( Including their American IPA and West Coast IPA ), and while they were decent, they didn't come anywhere being near as good as this one. 500 ml micro brew beers here in Quebec where I live go between 4-6 dollars a bottle, and a kit like this ( 45 bucks ) nets about 43 pints, so just over a dollar a pint. A steal in my opinion!

I hear their Brown Ale is delicious, as well as their double oatmeal stout! I've yet to try them!
If you are telling me this is better than the typical OBK extract kit, ie. the real "kits" with hops, quality yeast, steeping grains, DME, and LME... you convinced me I will try it when I want an easy brew day.

If you are telling me this is better than the typical OBK extract kit, ie. the real "kits" with hops, quality yeast, steeping grains, DME, and LME... you convinced me I will try it when I want an easy brew day.

I highly recommend it, if you want a good beer for little effort. The kits are made by Magnotta Brewery in Ontario. They have a commercial line of beer called True North. I assume its sold in Ontario as well, but its not sold in Quebec so I've never tried it. I've only tried their wheat kit ( which I wouldn't recommend ), but their West Coast IPA I loved. They make their wort like any professional brewers would, except they package it after the cooling stage, and the fermentation and bottling/kegging is up to you.

I'm guessing this is an old post but ya. I tried it several times with great success. It's almost goof proof.
Just poor it in fermenter, add yeast and done!

I've messed up a couple AG batches and got pretty discouraged so now I'm starting at the bottom of the ladder again. These kits taste great. no off flavors and pretty accurate fermentation.

Some say it's expensive but the amount of time these kits save is astronomical! There's a reason it's called a brew day. It takes a whole day of prepping, brewing, cleaning, sanitizing compared to this ten minute kit.

This kit was my first attempt ever at beer last January. It turned out well and got me started into the hobby. I am doing 10 gallon all grain batches right now so it was a good intro into the world. People turning their nose up about it aren't worth the time to read.

There is much truth to what you say...all grain...precooked - but not mine - lured me into an expensive but rewarding hobby as I struggle to reach beervana.

Back