Just Found Last Years Cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_w_taylor

Reaction score
I pulled out a couple of old kegs to fill up with beers this morning - I wasn't sure what was in them as I'm just getting back into brewing after a years hiatus. I figured it would hurt to hook up the CO2 and check it out rather than just opening/dumping them. The first was my cider from last year and it is delicious! It had gotten a little flat - so I cranked up the PSI. I might back-sweeten a little bit but it'll be nice to have for Thanksgiving.

Any suggestions on what I should use to sweeten it up a bit? Apple juice concentrate? Would adding gelatin help to clear this up? I thought a years aging should have taken care if the clarity.

I pulled out a couple of old kegs to fill up with beers this morning - I wasn't sure what was in them as I'm just getting back into brewing after a years hiatus. I figured it would hurt to hook up the CO2 and check it out rather than just opening/dumping them. The first was my cider from last year and it is delicious! It had gotten a little flat - so I cranked up the PSI. I might back-sweeten a little bit but it'll be nice to have for Thanksgiving.

Any suggestions on what I should use to sweeten it up a bit? Apple juice concentrate? Would adding gelatin help to clear this up? I thought a years aging should have taken care if the clarity.

I'm just getting started in the cider game. I wish I had some that was that aged. I'm doing some small batches and they don't last long :drunk:

Wow- what a nice surprise! You can use anything to sweeten- honey, apple juice, sugar, etc. Whatever sounds good to you.

As far as clearing, if it hasn't cleared in a year, gelatin probably won't help much. It sounds more like a "pectin haze". You could try some heavy duty finings, like KC SuperKleer if you really want it clear.

@Yooper - I'm not really that concerned - I just thought I'd give it a try. I think I might try some apple juice to sweeten up a bit. Thanks!

@Yooper - I'm not really that concerned - I just thought I'd give it a try. I think I might try some apple juice to sweeten up a bit. Thanks!

Well, might as well give gelatin a try if you're not too concerned. I mean, it might help and can't hurt. You've got nothing to lose except $1 for the Knox gelatin!

Some apple juice would be good. You could also try some frozen concentrate- it would be "thicker" so you'd dilute the cider less. Some frozen concentrates have sorbate or benzoate, so that would help keep it from refermenting, too.

Sometimes if a keg has been sitting for many months, it can get some sediment on the bottom, esp if it was cloudy when kegged. This usually is gone after 8 to 16 oz. I'd recommend pouring a few 4oz glasses to 1) see if clears up and 2) experiment with how much and what kind of sweetener to add. juice, concentrate, sugar, agave all have slightly different taste profiles and the best to use depends on how your cider fermented out.

OK - After sitting in the keezer for a few days on CO2 and pulling a couple of glasses I have determined that it will need no clarifying or sweetening!

C-ville was right - it was just the sediment from sitting around for a year. I had a few glasses with my wife last night - it is amazing! Time to go fill another carboy, ferment it out and let it sit for a year!

Ha - I love this hobby/art/craft!

Back