Just finished my first batch of Edwort's Haus Pale Ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihearthops

Reaction score
So I just finished my first batch of Edwort's Haus Pale Ale, my second AG attempt, but my first 60 minute AG boil. I didn't notice until I got the wort into the carboy that I only ended upwith 5 gallons of wort although my pre-boil volume was the recommended 6.5 gallons -- is it normal to have such a high boil off? (1.5g p/hr)

I'm cooking outside in a keggle on a Bayou Classic SQ14, and I thought I had the flame adjusted relatively low, but is it possible i'm boiling too hard and creating more boil off than I should? Just thought i'd throw the question out there in the event anyone else experienced a similar rate -- if I just need to suck it up and account for the extra half gallon, thats an acceptable answer too. :)

Thanks in advance!

You should check the gravity of the wort to determine efficiency. It is your first batch and adjustments are inevitable. Keep good notes until you are dialed in with your system.

My boil-off rates are similar as well. I'm a bit tanked so I hope this makes sense.:)

My OG ended up right on, however I only had 5g of wort -- so I assume my efficiency took a bit of a hit since I should have had the same reading with an extra 2 quarts of wort. Oh well, i'm sure it will turn out just fine -- i'll hope for more accuracy on the next batch.

my boiloff rate with my keggle and fryer burner is about 1.5 as well, thats about as low as I can boil, so I just adjust to have more runnings

I have a ten gallon megapot that boils off 1 gallon per thirty minutes (2 gallons per hour).

I also have a keggle. Boil off on the keggle is 1.5 gallons per hour.

Your boil off is not at all unusual. Just plan for it next time. It's actually kind of a benefit. You can sparge more and get a little efficiency boost lol.

Took a gravity reading tonight after 13 days in the primary -- what a fantastic APA! I'll be putting it in the fridge tomorrow to crash cool and then its off to the keg for conditioning.

I only have 5 batches under my belt, but this is the first time I drank the entire hydrometer tube and wished I took a bigger sample. ::rockin:

Cant wait for this one to finishing conditioning and pour my first pint.

:mug:

Good for you. I'm starting my second AG batch in a few days.

Just so you know, I typically boil for 60 minutes and I get just a little bit over 1 gallon of water loss with a fairly vigorous boil (Propane burner). 1.5 gallons doesn't seem unreasonable.

Have you boiled water just for the purpose of calculating your boil off in an hour? That's the second thing you should do. The first thing you should do is create a measuring stick for your brew pot.

My boil off varies between 1 and 1.5 gallons/hour, depending on weather conditions. I generally start with 6.5ish and being anywhere from 5.5-5 is fine with me. If I'm unhappy with the gravity I'll adjust it.

Latest posts

Back