Just finished its in the fermentor !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure everyone in here will tell you that there is no spot on answer to that question. There are a lot of unknown variables (method of aeration, ambient temp, yeast strain, etc...) and as mentioned above the bubbles (or lack thereof) are never a sure sign of fermentation. I will note that in John Palmer's "How to Brew" (www.howtobrew.com) the average time that noticeable fermentation (bubbling airlocks) occurs at around 24-48 hours.

You might not see any activity in the airlock. Take a gravity reading in 12-14 days.

It would be a VERY unusual brew to not see any fermentation activity in the airlock. Sugar turns to CO2 and Ethanol, if there's no airlock activity, something is wrong.

BudzAndSudz said:
It would be a VERY unusual brew to not see any fermentation activity in the airlock. Sugar turns to CO2 and Ethanol, if there's no airlock activity, something is wrong.
As soon as I put it in the fermentor ?

No, not as soon as you put it in the fermenter, it takes some time for the yeast to begin producing enough CO2 to make an airlock bubble. Lots of mine take 24 to 36 hours to start and when I use bucket fermeters there may not be any as a small leak will let the CO2 out before it can make the airlock bubble. Here's a nice article about the yeast and how they work. I find that each step takes much longer than the article says though. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

RM-MN said:
No, not as soon as you put it in the fermenter, it takes some time for the yeast to begin producing enough CO2 to make an airlock bubble. Lots of mine take 24 to 36 hours to start and when I use bucket fermeters there may not be any as a small leak will let the CO2 out before it can make the airlock bubble. Here's a nice article about the yeast and how they work. I find that each step takes much longer than the article says though. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html
Cool thanks it's in a 5 gallon bucket but I only am brewing a 2 1/2 gal brew so it has a lot of head space 9 hours And no bubbles. Not worried gonna wait it out I'm sure it will do good . Cheers!

RM-MN said:
Bingo it's working good this morning.

corpsman619 said:
I'm sure everyone in here will tell you that there is no spot on answer to that question. There are a lot of unknown variables (method of aeration, ambient temp, yeast strain, etc...) and as mentioned above the bubbles (or lack thereof) are never a sure sign of fermentation. I will note that in John Palmer's "How to Brew" (www.howtobrew.com) the average time that noticeable fermentation (bubbling airlocks) occurs at around 24-48 hours.
I read that buck and you gave me the best advise I could have ever wanted ! Thanks , I learned a lot .

Back