Just finished 1st AG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished my first AG and everything went pretty good (brewed a Hefeweizen). I definitely learned A TON! I've been brewing extracts for the past several years and a couple of buddies of mine convinced me to move to AG. The two biggest problems I had was:

1. Getting the mash to the right temp. Basically I didn't take into account the grain temp, so the strike water was a little cooler than it should have been. The mash temp was 148 degrees when I wanted 155. My guess is that I should have let the MT heat up a little more and used a hotter strike temp - about 180 versus 170. Does this sound about right?

2. Getting the wort cooled. Living in Katy, TX (close to Houston) it is a little hot outside right now and the water coming out of the tap is about 80 degrees. Trying to get the wort down to 68-70 was a bear. I finally gave up after about 45 minutes and pitched the yeast at 75 degrees, then slowly cooled the worst in the fermenter with a cold water bath.

The good news is that I checked the fermenter this morning, and it is already bubbling nicely. Just going to do a primary only, since the gear I purchased for this brewing went a little higher than I expected.

congratulations!!! I'm still working out exactly how much heat loss my system has. just take good notes and you'll zero in eventually. my advice in the mean time is the heat up the strike water more than what you think it will take and have some cold water on hand to get it to temp and adjust your sparge water accordingly. I'd rather mash a little thin than 7 degree cool...

congratulations!!! I'm still working out exactly how much heat loss my system has. just take good notes and you'll zero in eventually. my advice in the mean time is the heat up the strike water more than what you think it will take and have some cold water on hand to get it to temp and adjust your sparge water accordingly. I'd rather mash a little thin than 7 degree cool...

Lots of good software out there to take care of little things like calculations and such.

Back