Just filled a keg for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel48

Reaction score
So I just filled my first corny. How full should it be with 5 gallons? It was getting pretty dang full and it looked like I still had .75 - .5 gallons in my ale pale yet. I really don't think the pale markings are that far off. Can the beer touch the small gas tube going into the corny?

No, beer cannot touch the gas dip tube. Fill your keg to just below that dip tube, otherwise you'll get beer in your gas line.

I am pretty sure I did not fill it to full. Would it be obvious if beer was getting into the gas line? The in connection seemed dry and the ball connector did not smell and was not sticky.

I am pretty sure I did not fill it to full. Would it be obvious if beer was getting into the gas line? The in connection seemed dry and the ball connector did not smell and was not sticky.

As long as the gas line is clear, you'd see it in the line.

I'm not a genius with fluid dynamics, but I think the lowest point of the gas line would have to be below the beer level in order for the beer to flow back into the line.

Fill the keg to the weld line at the top of the cylindrical part.

Getting beer into the gas line is pretty hard, since the gas is pushing against the beer.

I always fill mine with as much as will go in there. Usually well above the gas dip tube. never had a problem with beer in the gas line. Your gas is under pressure so why would beer flow up and against pressure into your gas line?

The gallon markings on Ale Pails are known to be pretty far off and should not be used to accurate measurement. Like stated,just keep it below the Gas tube and you'll be fine.

I always fill mine with as much as will go in there. Usually well above the gas dip tube. never had a problem with beer in the gas line. Your gas is under pressure so why would beer flow up and against pressure into your gas line?
This does make sense and I'd like to see more discussion on it. I've wasted beer in fear of filling to and beyond the gas tube. I'd also read here where people get beer in their regulators. I'd rather waste a few pints than ruin a $50+ regulator.

This does make sense and I'd like to see more discussion on it. I've wasted beer in fear of filling to and beyond the gas tube. I'd also read here where people get beer in their regulators. I'd rather waste a few pints than ruin a $50+ regulator.

You need to leave a little head space for carbonation.

With my kegerator, the beer would have to move up about four feet, then go down to the regulator.

YMMV

I sometimes fill mine above the gas tube. I use check valves and I do the 'set it and forget it' . but if you burst it with high psi and shake. I could see it backing up when you turn the pressure down.

Don't waste the leftovers! Fill a few bottles and carb them with either Munton's carb tabs or Cooper's drops. I have about three cases of leftovers.

Come think of it I am pretty sure I have check valves built into my CO2 manifold. that may explain why I have never had an issue and others have.

The gallon markings on Ale Pails are known to be pretty far off and should not be used to accurate measurement. Like stated,just keep it below the Gas tube and you'll be fine.

sounds like it is time to market a "Better" Ale Pail with accurate markings.

Back