Just dug up some rhizomes. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
For several years I've harvested some "wild" hops in the woods somewhat near me, but it would be much more convenient to have some in my own yard. So the other day I dug up some roots and brought them home along with my annual harvest.

I realize Spring is probably a better time to have dug them up - and I can always get more then (there's plenty) - but for now what should I do with the ones I have already dug up?

A) Just go plant them now
B) Store for the winter in the fridge? Freezer?
C) _________________

Believe it or not, I found my first wild ones right about this time of the year just a few miles west of Rochester . . . back in '86 or '87. I took a big chunk of rhizome (make sure there's a bunch of little white buds) and buried it in a shallow trench in a corn field across the street. Next spring I dug it up and transplanted to a different location, the rest is history.

I decided to go ahead and plant them in what I hope will become the new hop garden. If these don't take off, I'll just go get some more.

I've got 6 shoots growing (exactly what I planted) in a "top secret" ridge location with a southwest exposure. They're not taking off too aggressively, but maybe that's because more energy is going into the root development this year.

We'll see what we get by September! I guess if they really take off I might have them analyzed so that I know exactly what I've got. Cluster variety seems to be the odds-on favorite at this point.

Back