just drank my first homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn

Reaction score
After my taste test last week I was little nervous. This week went much better. They are starting to carb a little and the taste is a world better than a week ago. It has been bottled for three weeks, will try another one next week.

I always recommend tasting your first few beers all the way through the process. Hell I still taste mine early and I've been doing it a while now. Especially it it's a new style/recipe I wanna know what it should taste like along the way.

I'm sure it's gonna turn out great.

What did you brew up?

I think I'll finally get to try out my first brew this week. Real nervous/excited.

I've recently done two of those BB kits. One was the robust porter and the other was the ipa. Seemed four weeks in the bottle was when they were good to go. Both had differed it how they tasted through the process. The rb was my first and had me freaking out cause the alcohol was right up front, but it came out great in the end. The ipa tasted better through the process but it too benefited from an extra week on the bottles.

Dolomieu said:
I've recently done two of those BB kits. One was the robust porter and the other was the ipa. Seemed four weeks in the bottle was when they were good to go. Both had differed it how they tasted through the process. The rb was my first and had me freaking out cause the alcohol was right up front, but it came out great in the end. The ipa tasted better through the process but it too benefited from an extra week on the bottles.

Yeah I was pretty nervous after the first tasting, all I could taste was the alcohol. Everybody says to relax but when it is your first brew you automatically assume that you messed up.

Yeah,we all learn a lot from that first one. The most important being patience. The yeast know what they're doing & have there own time table that won't match you'rs.

Yeah,we all learn a lot from that first one. The most important being patience. The yeast know what they're doing & have there own time table that won't match you'rs.

I also started tasting/testing my first brew just days after bottling. Drank one or two nearly every day after that. Had nothing to do with me being impatient, I did it uhm, for science! It's interesting to see how the flavor changes over the course of a few weeks, it's incredible. On the down side, when the beer finally started to taste nice, I only had a six pack left :(

2nd brew: managed to not touch it for a whole 3 weeks, the first one I opened this weekend was fantastic! 6 down, 42 bottles to go!

So taste early as a learning experience, but don't do it every batch :)

I did a BB Dunkelweizen, I'd never had a dunkel, or brewed a beer for that matter, so I brewed one right off the bat. The first time I tried it it tasted really good. So I went out and tried a dunkel at a restaurant I go to. I was pleased with my brew. I don't recommend doing that...it's just how I am. I also tested about 3 bottles through the first couple of weeks and saw it mature right before my eyes. I did a 1-1-4 format. Probably could of given it an extra week in the secondary.

I'd have just given it a couple weeks in primary if I'm not aging or racking onto something. Less mess,less loss from racking,& less chance for oxygenation.

Latest posts

Back