just curious - beer in the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherry300zx

Reaction score
I am in the process of fermenting a red Irish ale and the its really bubbling in the air lock so much that its bubbling over, is that ok? or is that a bad thing

i've had that happen a few times, i usually just replace it with a fresh airlock once it stops coming through the current airlock. i haven't had any problems yet, knock on wood. i don't ever use a blowoff so i try to make sure that i don't have any big chunks of hops when i put it in the fermenter so i don't have to worry about it getting plugged and blowing the top of my fermenter off lol

You can find some inexpensive vinyl or PVC tubing at Lowe's/Home Depot.

Until you get a piece of tubing, just clean and replace the airlock once or twice a day until the krausen subsides.

Slightly OT.
I'm an absolute noob who just put the lid on my first brew, a simple stout out of hombrewers bible. All went well, but when it came time for the airlock, I realised I don't know if water should go into the stem or just around it. Someone set me straight, please!

If you pour water into the stem you'll be pouring water into the beer. Around the stem is where the water goes. If you look on the side of the airlock there's a small line, fill it to just under that.

EvilTOJ said:
If you pour water into the stem you'll be pouring water into the beer. Around the stem is where the water goes. If you look on the side of the airlock there's a small line, fill it to just under that.

Awesome, thanks for the response. That is what I did. Now the wait begins! :) See y'all in two weeks with the report.

Slainthe!

Sasquatchula said:
:) See y'all in two weeks with the report.

Slainthe!

TWO WEEKS???? how ya gonna learn any thing if your not on here every day??? LOL just kidding glad it turned out for ya

justbrewit said:
TWO WEEKS???? how ya gonna learn any thing if your not on here every day??? LOL just kidding glad it turned out for ya

Oh, don't worry, I'll be lurking with vigor and wild abandon!

...secretly stealing all of your knowledge. Heh-heh-heh...

Sasquatchula said:
Awesome, thanks for the response. That is what I did. Now the wait begins! :) See y'all in two weeks with the report.

Even better, fill your airlock with vodka. That way, if it somehow gets sucked into your beer (this is a real issue with plastic buckets and better bottles) there is no risk of infection. I buy ultra-cheapo vodka, just for this purpose.

Latest posts

Back