just brewed this stout what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAbowhunter86

Reaction score
partial mash
.5lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs roasted barely
.5 lbs crystal malt 120
.25 pounds wheat
.75 lbs munich

3.3 lbs golden light LME (Late Addition)
2 lbs Muntons light

Hops

.5 oz Magnum (60)
.4 oz cascade (15)
.25 oz Hallertau(15)

White labs Burton Ale yeast

Finished at 1.067

Do you like black coffee? that's what it's going to taste like with 1.5 lbs of Roasted Barley in a 5 gallon batch. :drunk::mug:

I brewed a 5.5 gallon stout a few months ago that is turning out really good. It started at 1.065 and finished at 1.016. I used 8 oz of Chocolate malt and 8 oz of roasted barley and it's black and perfect amount of roasted/toasted notes. If you like more roasty flavors you are on the right path to it. Consider chocolate malt in your next recipe, excellent flavor in a stout.

Yeah, that's a lot of barley. That's might end up harsh. That roasted barley is going to start adding that peppery edge to the recipe.

I also don't do any late hop additions in my stouts - just enough to balance the sweetness at 60.

brycelarson said:
I also don't do any late hop additions in my stouts - just enough to balance the sweetness at 60.

I think late additions of willamette are great in a stout. I have heard glacier is also nice, and will be trying it out next time I brew a stout.

I think late additions of willamette are great in a stout. I have heard glacier is also nice, and will be trying it out next time I brew a stout.

Willamette is my go to stout hop. I just don't do any late additions. I'm a big malt fan - so when I'm going with a big beer I really want to leave the malt / caramel etc exposed.

would this be better
2.5lbs 2 row
1 lbs flaked oats
12 oz pale chocolate
12 oz cara 60
6 oz dark malt

3.3 lbs dark LME
1lbs Dark DME

1.5oz fuggle (60)
.5oz fuggle (15) or should i use kent golding? thanks for your input guys

would this be better
2.5lbs 2 row
1 lbs flaked oats
12 oz pale chocolate
12 oz cara 60
6 oz dark malt

3.3 lbs dark LME
1lbs Dark DME

1.5oz fuggle (60)

You'll get a "fresher" taste by using light malt extracts and getting your color and stout flavor from specialty grains.

If you want a maltier body consider 1 or 1.5 lbs of Caramel/Crystal 80. To minimize roasty notes but give you a good black 25+ color there is a malt called "Non-bitter black malt" that adds black color without the harshness of roasted barley.

I like the pale chocolate malt addition, one of my favorite specialty grains for dark beers although I think pale chocolate is more suited to brown ales and porters, regular chocolate malt for stouts but that's just my preference.

my standard stout is all pale base malt then oats, caramel 60/80 and chocolate malt. Simple and tasty. The Debittered Chocolate is a great addition as well. I'll often do half that and half standard chocolate.

The amount I use is based on how dark I'm going and whether it's going to be a milk stout or not.

This thread really has me craving one of my bourbon barrel stouts...but I'm saving them for Saturday!
:cross:

mmmmm stout!
SoCoOakStout2012_2.jpg

well here is what i have decided on i have added a few more graines what do you think about this
3lbs 2 row
1 lbs flaked oats
1 lbs pale chocolate
1lbs cara 60
6 oz dark malt

1lbs Light DME
2lbs Dark DME

1.5oz fuggle (60)

The original amount of Roasted Barley would be fine... I brewed about 10-15 porters/imperials by now, and the magic number for me is in that ballpark, plus a little Coffe, biscuit and choco... the KEY is fg. To low and yes, it will be harsh. IMO 1016 and upwards, you'll be fine... or actually great :)

Back