Just bottled up my first brew in 10+ years!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpaddy

Reaction score
So satisfying. I did an all grain brew with a sammy Smith nut brown ale clone kit. I brewed her up 3 weeks ago in a robobrew 35L 3.1.1 (220v).
So satisfying!
I have a red ale fermenting and I think tomorrow I'll brew up a nut brown ale (not a sammy smith clone).
20200714_141217.jpg
20200714_143311.jpg
20200714_144051.jpg
20200714_145931.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck, I am sure it will taste amazing!

Though, you caught me with all these bottles upside down, is this the way they should be kept during fermentation in the bottles? I get it is good against oxygen, but once they are done wouldn't you need additional time for the yeast to sediment at the bottom?

A complete noob question, I plan to bottle my first batch ever this weekend.

Oh, sorry, I just now zoomed the photo, I guess I interpreted it all wrong at first site. I guess I need to change my glasses!

Good luck, I am sure it will taste amazing!

Though, you caught me with all these bottles upside down, is this the way they should be kept during fermentation in the bottles? I get it is good against oxygen, but once they are done wouldn't you need additional time for the yeast to sediment at the bottom?

A complete noob question, I plan to bottle my first batch ever this weekend.
That is a bottle tree for cleaning and sanitizing

Sounds good! Why the 10 year hiatus?
Life and it took that long to get the government to subsidize me. Thank you uncle Sam! 10+ years ago I was bucket brewing extracts and I had a Mr Beer 20 years ago.

Brewed up another nut brown ale last night. I tasted a sample of the red ale I have fermenting. It tastes like a flat cape cod red (local brewery). Years ago I used to get kegs of cape cod red. The sample was tasty, but I think I'm a brown ale guy now. As I get older I think I like less hoppy beers.

I couldn't help myself and I tried one. I heard the hiss when I popped the cap, but it was flat.
Can't blame a brother for trying.

Normally can determine when beer in bottle is ready. Hold up to a light. Looking thru the bottle (with the light behind the bottle) will see clearing from the top down. More clearing (from top to bottom) more ready. Of course a point is finally reached when no more carbonation will happen.

Just cracked one open. Still under carbonated and taste is a little funky, but it's better on both fronts compared to the other day.

Attachments

• 20200723_154858.jpg
    20200723_154858.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
that's the way like my pours from kegs to look, and i definitely don't mind spending time in funky town! :mug:
I used to have a kegerator and I wish my pours looked like that. Mine was all head. I almost got a kegerator months ago, but when I compared the costs of doing a kegerator right to bottling, I went with bottles. Someday I'll get another kegerator.

How long since bottling? What temp are the bottles?
About a week and a half and in the 70s. I plan on waiting 2+ weeks for the batch, but lack of patience and inquisitiveness has crept in a little. So I tested one 4 days after bottling and again today.

I tasted a sample of the red ale I have fermenting. It tastes like a flat cape cod red (local brewery). Years ago I used to get kegs of cape cod red. The sample was tasty, but I think I'm a brown ale guy now. As I get older I think I like less hoppy beers.
I had the CCB Red on Cask a few years ago. It was great.
Plan to get there tomorrow, heading Down The Cape for a couple days.

Yes, 1 1/2 weeks isn't enough. Tried the "clear from the top" I mentioned in a prior post (post #13)?

Normally, the hardest part is waiting. That's why the line of available beers ready for kegging or bottling is important :)
I'm using sammy smith bottles. They're too dark for me to get a good.

I had the CCB Red on Cask a few years ago. It was great.
Plan to get there tomorrow, heading Down The Cape for a couple days.
They were my go to beer once upon a time. Which part of the cape? I'm way out on the lower cape. I haven't been out much the past four months, but my road is as busy as I've ever seen it. Sounds like people are a little cranky, so watch out if you go anywhere.

They were my go to beer once upon a time. Which part of the cape? I'm way out on the lower cape. I haven't been out much the past four months, but my road is as busy as I've ever seen it. Sounds like people are a little cranky, so watch out if you go anywhere.
Usually we go to Cotuit - my folks have a place there and that's where they keep the boat, but this weekend we'll be in Wellfleet.

Usually we go to Cotuit - my folks have a place there and that's where they keep the boat, but this weekend we'll be in Wellfleet.
Wellfleet is close to me. I'm in Truro. Cotuit, aka barnstable, is the city. They have stores and traffic lights and a hospital. They even have a mcdonalds! My town has one blinking light and 3 packys.

Back