Just bottled today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnjoyGoodBeer

Reaction score
BB kit Robust Porter, colour was a bit light for a porter but we had a bit over 5 gallons. We also took a taste test (first one) tasted a bit week and had a tea like flavor.

So this beer from the colour and being a bit over 5 gallons gonna be to watered down? The taste test seemed water down. Or with the few morenweeks of ageing in the bottle help a bunch? Thats for reading.

But yes, if you went a little over your target volume, this is going to lower ABV, lower body, lower hop flavor and bitterness. If you had 0.25 gallons extra, not going to be a big deal, but if you have like an extra gallon of water in there, it is definitely going to be noticable.

Do you happen to do full volume boils, or do you top off, and just added too much water?

TopherM said:
But yes, if you went a little over your target volume, this is going to lower ABV, lower body, lower hop flavor and bitterness. If you had 0.25 gallons extra, not going to be a big deal, but if you have like an extra gallon of water in there, it is definitely going to be noticable.

Do you happen to do full volume boils, or do you top off, and just added too much water?

This was first batch on stove with full volume. I however now use a propane xooker outside an been topping off with about a gallon of water wile wort chilling. Our next two brews look fantastic.

So 3 to 4 weeks in bottle then ay? Was gonna do about 3 try one at 1 week then 2. See how its tasting.

If you are going to keep doing full volumes, and you should for many reasons I'm sure you are aware of, for future brews figure out where your target volume is and boil down to the target volume, regardless of how long it takes.

Many peeps will put a notch in their brew paddle or a separte plastic/wood rod to measure by height where 5.0/5.5, etc. gallons is in their kettle, then always boil down to the notch (accounting for trub loss and cooling contraction as well). Of course you still want to get pretty close to your target pre-boil volume, as you want the hop additions to be in the right place, but if you boil down an extra 10-15 min to get your target volume right on, it's worth it.

Good luck!

TopherM said:
If you are going to keep doing full volumes, and you should for many reasons I'm sure you are aware of, for future brews figure out where your target volume is and boil down to the target volume, regardless of how long it takes.

Many peeps will put a notch in their brew paddle or a separte plastic/wood rod to measure by height where 5.0/5.5, etc. gallons is in their kettle, then always boil down to the notch (accounting for trub loss and cooling contraction as well). Of course you still want to get pretty close to your target pre-boil volume, as you want the hop additions to be in the right place, but if you boil down an extra 10-15 min to get your target volume right on, it's worth it.

Good luck!

Hmm not sure I follow 100%. We been doing the kits for now, they call for 2.5 gallons then add water to 5 gal. Wich my partner an I dont think is necessary( atho they say that it will increase the iBU's doing it the way we do.) we put 5 gal in pot boil and cook everything then when we wort chill we add whatever we need to get it back to 5 gallons.

Is our method okay then?

Ohh i had to read again. Mark the pattle so its easer to read were your water level is... Thats a good idea.

Your method is okay, but typical full boil method is to fill your BK to about 6.5 gallons, have a gallon boil off and lose 1/2 gallon to trub for a final 5 gallon batch. Those are general numbers and may not reflect your exact setup, but the general idea.

twistr25 said:
Your method is okay, but typical full boil method is to fill your BK to about 6.5 gallons, have a gallon boil off and lose 1/2 gallon to trub for a final 5 gallon batch. Those are general numbers and may not reflect your exact setup, but the general idea.

Ill run that by my partner.

Back