just an observation....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
no matter where I go, I always see bottles and/cans of beer tossed on the side of the road (along with other trash) and it really pisses me off. I do not understand littering. At all. That said, I have noticed that I have never seen a bottle from a respectable beer, not even a Sam Adams. So, it really gets my mind to wondering about all the little differences in BMC drinkers and beer drinkers. I know not all BMC drinkers are litterers but it sure seems that all litterers are BMC drinkers!

Does drinking good beer make you a better person or are better people drawn to better beer?:mug:

I personally believe there is a lot of truth to this. I think it has to do with socio-economics. There are a few anecdotal similarities for this that can be seen very easily.

People who litter are mostly lazy. Lazy people tend to not be as productive and do not or will not spend the money or education needed to seek out "good" beer. It has to do with lifestyles and personal levels of acceptability. I'll give you and example.
Do you ever seen lots of shopping carts all around the parking lot in a Whole Foods or a Costco (insert marginally higher end store here)? What about at a Walmart? I believe that it is the same issue at play here.

This is not just an American issue. If you go to poorer countries, you will see massive amounts of litter and trash. It is not just that the wealthy countries spend the money to clean it, it is that the poorer people do not care.

I have to disagree with the above in one aspect. I think you're on to something with the laziness, but not in the poorer country part. I volunteered in Mexico for 5 years. There are the same things going on inside the poor communities. There were some who had trash filled lots, and some who even swept their dirt front yards.
As far as the littering goes in the poor countries it's more about that their government doesn't help clean it up, and education about putting in the right spot.

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? The cans/bottles are on the side of the road. Folks are purging the evidence, it's just that simple. So yes, they don't care, but also have a goal in mind of getting rid of their open container instead of getting caught.
I tend to think it's the old timers that "just don't care" since that's the way they've done it forever. They also seem to be a high percentage of the BMC crowd. For instance, at my parents house out in the middle of nowhere there is always a fresh can or two of BMC in the ditch every few days. It's the old man up the road a quarter mile getting rid of it before he gets home. He's always done it, he's inconsiderate, and will not change. Just the way it is.
It's probably a combination of all the things mentioned here already.

The obvious answer is that it's all coming from those stupid enough to drink while driving and as noted above, pitching the evidence (open container). Not wanting to stereotype, but I think the average BMC drinker is a lil less responsible than the average craft beer (hate that term) drinker, although I'm sure there are consumers of both that cover the whole spectrum as far as "responsibility"...

Might depend on the state, as well....states with can/bottle deposits are less likely (in my experience) to have roadside empties than those that don't....when we lived in MI, it was, assuming it still is, $0.10 per can/bottle, enough incentive for many to not toss 'em or pick up others' for the dime. Down here in TN, hell, them good ol' boys in their pick'em-up trucks will throw a half empty Busch Light at you if you're out riding your bicycle.....jitbags!!! They're everywhere, unfortunately

Back