Just a thought on concentrated boil hop utilization...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
I am currently confined to brewing with a 4 gallon pot( I have two of them though.. My first IPA didn't come out nearly as hoppy as I was hoping for. I understand the reason why hops are under utilized during these concentrated boils, and have have read the posts discussing this topic.

I'm just throwing this out there, so let me know whatyou guys think about this, because I might try it.

I wonder what the effect would be if I were to steep/mash/add extract in a 3 gallon concentrated boil, and do a seperate boil with nothing but hops and 3 more gallons of water for top off.

If nothing else, this would be an interesting experiment to see how boiling hops in plain water might change their profile(maybe more crisp)...Just food for thought.

This is similar to the late extract addition many extract brewers use. Instead of boiling all the extract in 4 gallons of water, mix a small amount in the water that you will boil for 60 min. Do all of your hop additions as normal. In the last 15 min, add the rest of the extract. This way, you will get better hop utilization and less melanoidin production (darkening of the wort in a concentrated boil).

What about the need for the hot break though? And, even with the late extract addition, you would still have an extremely high gravity for your aroma hops.

I think it would be interesting to boil hops in the 1.00 S.G. of water. (especially for an IPA)

Does anyone think this would be an interesting experiment???

Aroma hops don't contribute much to the IBUs. You could make up for that in other additions if its a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a huge need for a hot break in extract brews. Extract is concentrated wort that (I believe) has already been boiled.

I think it would be interesting to boil hops in the 1.00 S.G. of water. (especially for an IPA)
there is a thread around here somewhere debating this. Its generally held that you need some of the compounds found in wort to help isomerize the alpha acids. Therefore, theoretically, you will get better utilization from a low gravity wort than plain water.

Bier Muncher, So do you think it would balance out when you combined your wort with your hop boil, or does boiling hops in plain water not isomerize the alpha acids enough to get full utilization, meaning a late edition would be better?

This is an interesting topic. I have nothing to add being I have never tried or even thought bout this type of process. I will be following this thread to see what everyone thinks.

+1 for asking this question!!

I think you'd be better off with just a late extract edition rather then do the "hop tea" and mix it. If you want to increase the IBUs you could jsut to 1/3 normal and 2/3 late.

I've heard of people making a "hop tea" to add at bottling or in the secondary or something just to give it a better flavor/aroma, but never doing it instead of a normal boil.

Also, are you talking about doing a normal boil (in pot 1) then doing an extra 'just hops' boil in pot 2? If that's the case, you'll need more hops, and could probably get the same result by jsut adding the extra hops to the main boil.

Also, are you talking about doing a normal boil (in pot 1) then doing an extra 'just hops' boil in pot 2? If that's the case, you'll need more hops, and could probably get the same result by jsut adding the extra hops to the main boil.

No, I was considering Doing all of the hops in a second boil. My IPA just wasnt as hoppy as I wanted it, so next time I was going to do a late extract edition to see if that helped. At first, I was concerned about not getting a hot-break from a late extract edition, although I've been told that hot break shouldnt be a concern with extract, since its already been boiled.

Then I just started wondering... hmm...Would boiling all of the hops by themselves in plain water for 60 mins(a "hop tea" if you will) get a different, perhaps more desireable character from them.

Back