Just a quick question about infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
I have a cream ale on my secondary for 2 weeks now and a week ago I checked the gravity getting access to the beer with a thief. I sanitized the thief with star san but I just sprayed it really quick and rinsed with water. I know i dont have to rinse I always do. A week later I noticed a 2 white rings around my better bottle. Not on top of the beer just around the rings of the bottle and at the bottom. Could this be an infection or is it normal?

I have a cream ale on my secondary for 2 weeks now and a week ago I checked the gravity getting access to the beer with a thief. I sanitized the thief with star san but I just sprayed it really quick and rinsed with water. I know i dont have to rinse I always do. A week later I noticed a 2 white rings around my better bottle. Not on top of the beer just around the rings of the bottle and at the bottom. Could this be an infection or is it normal?

I may just be yeast sediment that has stuck to the sides.

Does it look like this?:

betterbottle.JPG

I know i dont have to rinse I always do.

It isn't that you don't have to, it is that you shouldn't. Star San is a no rinse sanitizer. When you rinse it, you're greatly reducing the effectiveness of it, and potentially even nullifying it.

I do have to say, it just sounds like you have yeast collecting on the edges, and you'll be fine, but stop rinsing.

It looks just like that but alot more of it...Wow thanks for posting that picture it makes me feel alot better about my beer now...

It looks just like that but alot more of it...Wow thanks for posting that picture it makes me feel alot better about my beer now...

That better bottle is sitting next to the washing machine. My wife did laundry tonight and a lot of white lines are gone. :)

Back