Just a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty8202

Reaction score
Forgive me if this questions has been asked before which I am sure it has and if this is the wrong place to ask it. I am in the Marine Corps and will be moving to Okinawa Japan in April. I want to stock up on hops and yeast before I go so I can bring them over there with me. I know the hops will last a good amount of time if frozen but how long will the yeast last. And will it effect them if once I get over there to put the hops back in the freezer till I am able to brew. Which could be about a month or 2 till my household goods get to me.

Yeast viability goes down over time, so after a couple months of being in the refrigerator you'll need to make a starter to build up your cell count. You can't freeze yeast unless you store them in glycerin first. You'll kill them if you just freeze them in the package.

Your hops should be fine for a good while as long as they are vacuum sealed and kept reasonably cool, even if they aren't frozen the WHOLE time.

Edit: missed that it was dry yeast, whoops! yeah, what flars said, it should be fine refrigerated.

Refreezing the hops should not have a noticeable effect on the hops. Keeping dry yeast at room temperature for a few months will not be a problem. Just refrigerate the dry yeast as soon as you can.

Never really said it was dry or liquid yeast but I prefer liquid as there are more strains available

Dry yeast can last a very long time if stored properly. I freeze mine and have never had a problem.

Likewise with hops. vacuum sealed in small amounts and you should be good to go.

Semper Fi

Never really said it was dry or liquid yeast but I prefer liquid as there are more strains available

If you have been brewing for awhile then you know starters will be required for the liquid yeasts you take with you. Yeast harvesting will also have to become a regular part of brewing since the liquid strains you use may not be available.

You can begin the starters, before to much viability is lost, as soon as you have refrigeration to store yeast even if brewing will be delayed.

If you have been brewing for awhile then you know starters will be required for the liquid yeasts you take with you. Yeast harvesting will also have to become a regular part of brewing since the liquid strains you use may not be available.

You can begin the starters, before to much viability is lost, as soon as you have refrigeration to store yeast even if brewing will be delayed.

Haven't been brewing that long but have wanted to get into making yeast starters. I do plan on harvesting my yeast from previous brews just need to research it a little more.

You'll also have to be able to brew pretty regularly if you start relying on harvested yeast. It only stores for about 2 months before it needs to go back into a starter. If you're likely to be on deployment of anything for longer than that, you might consider keeping some dry yeast on hand just in case.

Off topic, but I had to come back and say that of all of the places I've been, I'm happiest that I'm no longer in Okinawa.

But it is what you make it.

Back