Jun scoby without starter liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luana

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I purchased a Jun scoby but when I opened the package there was no starter liquid. The seller attached instructions and said I could use some apple cider vinegar instead for my first batch. I immediately contacted her and expressed my doubts about that and she said that Jun scoby is different from kombucha scoby, that mother liquid always caused many problems and that I will need the use the vinegar for my first batch only. Now, since I'm totally new at brewing Jun, what do you think about that? I don't think that's a genuine scoby anymore but I would like to hear the opinion of someone who has experience with Jun.

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_135332.jpg
    IMG_20200130_135332.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200130_135341.jpg
    IMG_20200130_135341.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
what do you think about that?
SCOBY is bacteria and yeast, which are microscopic organisms. They are present throughout the solid portion (technically called a "pellicle") and throughout the liquid.
The solid pellicle and/or liquid from a previous batch can be used to start a new batch.

The main reason to use some liquid is to lower the pH to keep unwanted microbe from growing. Using apple cider vinegar is certainly a valid way to accomplish this.

I don't how how including liquid with a culture would cause "many problems", unless it's leaking during shipping or something like that.

Back