Jumped right in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrm0to

Reaction score
So I got a Brewer's Best kit for my b-day and after a bit of reading through the weekend boiled up my first wort. It's in the basement in the big plastic bucket now.

I guess we'll see how it goes. My initial gravity reading was a bit lower (1.031) than the recipe called for, although it was taken at a high (~72 F) temp and I didn't think to use the sample tube; I just dropped the hydrometer right in the bucket so I'm not too confident w/ the accuracy. As I understand a lower starting gravity is just going to leave me with a liittle less ABV? And wouldn't the final be what I should be more concerned with?

If anyone's curious, I used 6.6 lbs of malted wheat extract w/ boiled tap water. 1 oz. of Hallertau for bittering and 1/2 oz. of the same for finishing, both 3.5% AA. Nottingham's dry yeast. Aside from the gravity, I think everything went smoothly, but I guess I'll know for sure in a week or so.

you have to add to the specific gravity for every degree over 70 degrees (calibrated at 70). so your probably closer than you think.

good luck and welcome to the brew-world!

DeRoux's Broux said:
you have to add to the specific gravity for every degree over 70 degrees (calibrated at 70). so your probably closer than you think.

good luck and welcome to the brew-world!
This might depend on your hydrometer though, as I think mine is calibrated for 60 degrees (I'd have to test it to be sure).

moto: You should be okay. You're right about the lower gravity, as a lower OG will reduce the potential ABV. Sounds like it's might be a nice, easy drinking beer.

LupusUmbrus said:
This might depend on your hydrometer though, as I think mine is calibrated for 60 degrees (I'd have to test it to be sure).

moto: You should be okay. You're right about the lower gravity, as a lower OG will reduce the potential ABV. Sounds like it's might be a nice, easy drinking beer.
DOH! that's what i get for typing BEFORE i have coffee!!!! :eek:

my bad and thank you LupusUmbrus. i feel like a dilweed........

Hope you sanitized your hydrometer before dipping it in the wort.

ABV depends on original gravity minus final gravity:

An example: Made an apple cider - OG 1048 FG 998 ABV ~ 6.5 % RM porter OG 1051 FG 1018 ABV ~ 4.3%

Hahaha, yeah I sanitized it. If there's one thing you can't miss in internet research of home brewing it is the importance (obsession?) with sanitizing :).

I checked it when I got home this evening and it's got bubbles! Success! Yeast has attacked, there is something there. Hopefully something drinkable in a few weeks.

And thanks for the tip on hydrometer adjustments. Is there an easy way to check what it would be calibrated for? Is water an even 1.000 at the calibrated temp?

If it's calibrated at 60F, then it should read 1.000 in 60 degree water. or about .098 in 72 degree water.

One alternative is to dump that hydrometer. I used one the first batch or two and have not since. There was nothing I learned from it that I need to know and I did not trust that my readings were reliable and accurate.

My beers taste good and they are strong!

When it comes down to it, does it really matter if your out a couple of points when reading an hydrometer, as long as you know your brews in doing what it should then accuracy is no big deal!

Latest posts

Back