Juicing for wines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weaves

Reaction score
Being new to the whole home brew scene I've been looking at a lot of recipes ( mostly wines and meads, most beer recipes are by mash which I do not have the room for at this time) in many recipes people say they crush their fruits in primary for the juice and then leave the left over in primary in the mesh bags. My question is, is that the best way to do it or if I were to put the fruits through a juicer then heat or use a camden will i get as good of a result from fully juiced fruits.

I just chop mine up and freeze them. Then when they thaw they are mush. Add some campden in about 24 hour before pitching yeast an you should be fine.

I'm assuming after thawing you mush them more in primary? Do you leave chunks in and just strain the left over pulpy chunks out fir secondary?

I put all of the frozen fruit into a paint strainer bag and let it thaw in the primary. Sometimes I will crush the thaw fruit a little with the bottom of a wine bottle but for the most part freezing breaks it down enough so I don't have to and the yeast will make plenty good work of the rest of it.

Cool that sounds pretty easy, do they come out with the strong fruit flavor?

Sometimes, but I find that after fermentation the flavor completely changes. If you want it to really taste like the fruity you Will have to wait until fermentation completes and stabilize with potassium sorbate then add more fruit to bring the flavor.

Back