Juiced vs chopped ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett_Bellmore

Me and my better half.
Reaction score
Just sampled my latest batch of key lime ginger mead. Not that it's ready to bottle, I've got it aging with some Hungarian oak, but I was removing the sediment, and there was some clear in the jar... (The Fast Ferment conical is handy that way, I'm finding.)

Running the ginger through my juicer produced a mellow ginger flavor. Starting from the same amount, chopping it produced more of a bite, a harsher ginger flavor.

I think on the next batch I'm going back to the juicer, even if it is a lot of work to process that much ginger.

Anybody have experience with oak aging of mead with ginger? Is prolonging the aging likely to mellow that bite?

Ask me in a couple months... :D

I have a traditional mead that I'm about to rack for the last time and add oak (medium plus American). I'm going to hang some ginger in it too.. slices of peeled root. I'm told that it fades some with time though less than some other spices do. Maybe I'll break off just a half gallon for this experiment.

Back