juice or chopped apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't see an answer to this on here, and appologies if it has been answered before.
If you make wine by fermenting crushed grapes, if is far stronger than wine made with just the juice. I made cider a couple of years back by fermenting apple pieces and not the juice, which was quite strong (I don't bother with %ABV - if I fall over after quite a few pints, it's strong enough). Last year we had a lousy year in the UK for apples and pears, so I used a kit, which has a more even flavour (a bit plastic to be honest), but I used far too much sugar (about 3.5Kg instead of 1Kg) so that may have something to do with it (and falling over after 3 pints).
My question is; what benefit, if any, do I get by fermenting just the juice?

:drunk:

Fermenting juice only gives greater volume and less muck / less waste. There's really no good reason to keep skins or flesh in a cider. Grapes and apples are two very different things.

I made apple wine with chopped up apples and it worked out pretty well. My big issue with it was that I added a cinnamon stick to the fermenter and it ended up having an overwhelming cinnamon flavor. Besides that it took a lot of apples to make it, so the primary fermenter was really full.

No funky off flavors, it cleared up nicely, and fermented pretty dry. Plus the apples were free. And when I'd add a little to a glass of apple juice to balance out the cinnamon it was fantastic.

With juice you get more flavor, less work, easier fermentation, better quality & more uniform end product.
Regards, GF.

Back