Juice molded before pitching... am I safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412CiderGuy

Reaction score
So I hit a serious of unfortunate events. I gotn50 gallons of fresh pressed juice before the farm closed down for who knows how long but I needed yeast. The Local brew supply shut down (state ordered) and then amazon postponed my order by a week as a non essential item.

After 3 days the juice carboys started growing a white film on the top and smelling a little funky. I got some yeast today then instantly pitched so I’m hoping it’s just a wild fermentation that will add some character.
IMG_7220.JPG

A white film could be a pellicle, which is distinct from mold.

A pellicle is simply a result of wild yeast and bacteria, not dangerous. On the other hand mold is potentially dangerous because it's allergenic and can produce toxins/carcinogens. It's important to tell them apart.

Your photo is really unclear. The easiest way to tell them apart is that mold is always fuzzy or hairy.

A white film could be a pellicle, which is distinct from mold.

A pellicle is simply a result of wild yeast and bacteria, not dangerous. On the other hand mold is potentially dangerous because it's allergenic and can produce toxins/carcinogens. It's important to tell them apart.

Your photo is really unclear. The easiest way to tell them apart is that mold is always fuzzy or hairy.

Oh nice maybe this is a pellicle than! It’s not fuzzy at all - more of a white goo.

Definitely changed the smell, had a not so great funky smell and I love funky cider. Well hopefully this just adds a little unique flavor. I got 50+ gallons going and can’t get more for who knows how long.

If it’s going to be too long... I’d almost say just pitch some bread yeast, or let it go wild!

Back