Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura Stout - bad batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

febbrewro

Reaction score
Heard a few good things about Jolly Pumpkin, so I bought a bunch of 760ml bottles at the local beer shop to give it a try. The one I was looking most forward to was the Madrugada Obscura. I'm a big stout fan so this one picked my interest.

I just opened the bottle and it ended up gushing all over the floor of my kitchen. The label reads batch 2, 2010. Has anyone had any bottles from this bash gush like this? I just wanted to know if this whole batch went bad, or I just got an unlucky bottle.

As an aside, should the beer shop replace my bottle since it was bad? I don't have the receipt anymore (who keeps beer receipts??), but it wasn't a cheap bottle of beer. I ended up getting about half pint of beer out of this $12 bottle.

I'd love to get that beer for $12. The only place around here I have seen it sells it for $20.

I would recommend contacting the brewery and the shop you bought it from. See who is willing to help.

I'll probably send the brewery and e-mail to see what's up with that batch, and go to the store tomorrow to see if they'll refund or replace.

It's probably cheaper for me because Jolly Pumpkin is local. I enjoyed the small amount I did get to drink, I wonder if the infection affected the taste at all.

Well, considering that there are a number of bugs in that beer (brett strains and possibly some lacto), it really isn't surprising that it gushed. This bottle was likely conditioned very warm and the brett went wild. It'll do that. Whenever I open a bottle I know has bugs in it like this, I always have a glass ready to pour into.

Well, considering that there are a number of bugs in that beer (brett strains and possibly some lacto), it really isn't surprising that it gushed. This bottle was likely conditioned very warm and the brett went wild. It'll do that. Whenever I open a bottle I know has bugs in it like this, I always have a glass ready to pour into.

Is brett beer just not conducive to bottle conditioning? I've only seen JP beer in bottles recently, perhaps they're still perfecting the process?

Is brett beer just not conducive to bottle conditioning? I've only seen JP beer in bottles recently, perhaps they're still perfecting the process?

No, it does just fine. However, any beer that is mishandled can have adverse effects. Typically with brett beers, you get a lot more carbonation because the brett is just going crazy in the bottle. Jolly Pumpkin on a whole is very consistent with their products. I've been having their beers in bottles all the way out here for a dew years now and have had no issues.

Never had a JP with a "normal" level of carb. All those bugs usually make for an active pour and I account for that by having glasses ready when I open. This is true of almost all wild beers that I get.

I actually just had a bottle from that batch and it was perfectly awesome. Higher level of carb than non wilds, but didn't gush. Must have been a bad bottle. I work for a beer distributor and our sales people give credit to stores for bad beer every once in a while. I don't see why the store wouldn't hook you up and go to their distributor to get a refund. I think Jolly Pumpkin is distributed by Imperial Elite in your area. Not 100% sure though.

Back