Joined a Brew Club today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisoneguy

Reaction score
And it was nice to be able to talk in person with people who are passionate about the "hobby" for a few hours. As nice as it is to chat on HBT, there is no substitute for real life conversations. :rockin:

I'm really thinking about joining the Edmonton Homebrewers Guild. I hear what your saying about talking with real people about brewing. I try to talk to my buddies at work, but they don't really care too much, they just want to drink free beer lol.

Hopefully your experience will be as good as mine.

My brew club meets once a week on Sundays from 1pm-7pm. For the first half of the day we brew. We either do a 30 gallon batch or a 5 gallon batch or both. While the brew is going on we de-label bottles, bottle between 5-30 gallons if its needed, drink beer, taste beer, general BS.

After the brew is done we clean up. With 4-8 guys it doesn't take too long.

While we are brewing one person is in charge of the food and he is going back and forth between the smoker and the brewing station. Sometimes the meal is simple like tomato sauce and bread. Sometimes it is more extravagant like lasagna or smoked BBQ pulled pork.

After the brewing and clean up we head inside to eat. While we eat we do a tasting. One person will be in charge of the tasting. That person picks a style and buys 6 single bottles. They are commercial beers. We each get an ounce or two of each sample then we grade them blindly. We will know the style but not exactly which brand they are. Once the tastings are done we go over how we graded each beer. I've tasted many beers that I would have never purchased on my own.

I've been a member for about 6 months and couldn't be happier. Most of the guys in the club have been there for 5-10 years.

Sometimes there are other club events during the week. I'm usually working so I miss out on those unfortunately.

Back