Johny jump up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low-n-Lean

Reaction score
Mix - Johnny Jump Up - Gaelic Storm:

I've been making my cider this way for a while and usually have a keg of it on tap. I'ts a quick, simple cider and taste quite good.

I buy what ever juice or concentrate is on sale, mostly Tree Top or Mott's, enough to make 5 gallons. I steep 3 black tea bags and the juice of a lime for about 15 minutes. Fine chop a box of Del Monte Raisins (1oz). Make sure it says "ALL NATURAL" on the box. Add thawed juice, raisins and cooled tea brew to a 5 gallon bucket and top to 4.5 gallons with 75 degree water. Add your yeast ( I only use S04 for cider). Ferment at 60 to 70 degrees. At 7 days I lower the temp to 35 degrees and let set for 3 days. I rack to a 5 gallon keg or 5 - 1 gallon jugs, depends on what I have available. Keep the cider at 35 degrees and enjoy. The cider is clear, sweet and a little crisp. I sometimes add a lime wedge to my glass on a summer day to crisp it up a bit more.

Letting the cider set for the 3 days @ 35 degrees before racking will allow the yeast (S04 )to fall out and pack firmly on the bottom with the raisins. As long as the cider stays at 35 it will remain clear.

I do not add any sugars pre fermentation or any sweetener post fermentation.

This is a good still cider and even better carbed. I carb to 10 psi in the keg. In the jug I leave it still. I do not bottle this but I think 1.5 to 2 volumes would do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back