Johnson Temp Controls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I was wondering if the analog or digital temp control was better? Also, where does the temperature sensor cord go on the fridge?

For the analog do you have to weld it or what?

I like the digital one. I got mine a419 off ebay for a lot cheaper than homebrew stores have them (unwired). They both just have a temp probe that you stick in the keezer. It just kind of dangles there =). I just lift the lid and stick it in the back.

I believe the analog has a 3 degree differential, or at least I know mine does. I went with the analog as I am pretty sure the beer stays the 42 degrees that I have it set at. I am fairly certain that ambient temp in the fridge is going to drop 3 degrees before the beer does.

As for where I placed it, I ran it through the drain hole (I had to remove the compressor to do this) and along the back of the fridge to the top. I then placed the probe in a white labs vial that I had filled with the "blue goo" from one of the reusable freezer packs. Sealed the vial with silicon and used high strength double sided tape to attach at the top of the fridge near the thermostat.

Works great and I have never had any cooling issues.

I use analog for my keezer, as AFAJ pointed out the beer itself doesn't see the 3 degree change. I do use digital for my fermentation fridge as I want tighter control over my fermentation temps - especially with lagers.

GT

Go with the digital. It'll keep your beer at a more constant temp - less fluctuation. As far as I know you don't have to weld either type. You just stick the probe in the fridge.

I got a digital Ranco for $55 on eBay and wired it with a $5 extension cord from ACE in a 30 minutes.

Back