Johnson controls problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-rok

Reaction score
Bought a Johnson controls A419 and installed it on my chest freezer this weekend. Yesterday I completed a ipa and placed it in the freezer set to 65 with a 5 degree differential set. The probe ison top of the fermenter bucket. I come home and the unit reads 55 and the thermometer at the bottom of the freezer reads 40. What should I do to keep my fermentation temp level?

I would put a fan in your freezer, if you haven't already. As for the temp differences, with a 5-degree differential and 65-degree set point, the freezer will run to 60 degrees before shutting off. The freezer will creep slightly lower as the walls will be cooler than the air in the unit (where the probe is). My upright freezer will creep 2-5 degrees after the unit shuts off; I use a 1-degree differential and keep my probe in a tiny vial of water.

After you get a fan in there, you'll be able to see how your particular unit works out ... then just adjust the Johnson to hit your desired temp range.

Back