Johnson A419 to element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artifishal

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I've been thinking, and I know nothing about electric brewing yet, can I buy a Blichman boil coil, plug it in to my Johnson A419 temp control, stick the temp probe in a ss thermowell and use this to maintain mash temp?

Applied Voltage: 120 VAC 208 VAC 240 VAC
Full Load Amperes N.O. (N.C.): 16 (5.8) A 9.2 (4.0) A 8.0 (4.9) A

Not sure what the boil coil wattage is like. If they have a 120v one under 2kw then you could swing it. The controller isnt meant to switch big loads like 5500w elements and what not.

Not sure what the boil coil wattage is like. If they have a 120v one under 2kw then you could swing it. The controller isnt meant to switch big loads like 5500w elements and what not.

Merry Christmas iijakii
True! I called them actually talked to an engineer cause no one there knew. Desparate to save a little coin and not build or buy pid. To op make pid read iijakii's stuff or the like as a starting point. Btw side note iijakii auber syl NEEDS probe or won't work which I'm sure you knew but pisses me off.

So...

I think that's a no.

What controller do I need? I also have an STC1000. Can I use that?

2k won't work. That's about 16.5 amps which would need to be interrupted on a relay that's rated for 5.8 amps (according to the data).

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I've been thinking, and I know nothing about electric brewing yet, can I buy a Blichman boil coil, plug it in to my Johnson A419 temp control, stick the temp probe in a ss thermowell and use this to maintain mash temp?
I've been using an A419 and a thermowell in my mash with a 1650W element for a long time. The 2000W Boil Coil is a bit too much for a A419 controller.

The 5.8A rating is for the N.C. contacts, which he wouldn't be using. It is the 16A N.O. contacts that are involved.

Oh, sorry. I stand corrected... I did not realize that the controller had built in NC contacts as an option and just ASSumed it was one way. This wouldn't be weird as refrigeration systems often have high inrush current requirements.

Either way I don't think this is the right controller for a kettle. There are several pre-built options out there.

-BD

Back