Johnson A419 not turning pump on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jukas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a batch of cider going and it's too warm in the house and too cold in the garage to ferment without some temp control. So I'm running into a problem I'm not really sure how to correctly troubleshoot.

I have my brewhemoth setup with the ic running to a cooler with an aquarium heater keeping the water at approx 85f. The Johnson is setup in heat mode with a set point of 66f and a 1deg diff with a 3min asd.

I've noticed that every time the Johnson kicks on (I can see the green active light) the pump doesn't go on. However if I simply unplug the pump power cord from the Johnson and plug it back in it kicks on instantly.

So obviously the pump can work and the controller is triggering power to the plug when the temp falls below the set point, but the pump isn't turning on properly. I woke up this morning to find temp was down to 60F and the controller thought it was on but the pump was dead silent.

Pump is a rios 3100 aquarium submersible pump and what I also use for my keg washer. I've noticed in the keg washer it can have trouble starting when the water is really hot (115+) but then I typically get te noisey impeller sound and with the controller it's dead silent.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450893734.149904.jpg

Back