Joe's Ancient Orange - Question about sizing and air at top...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhiggy

Reaction score
I wasn't getting the answers I needed on the recipe forum, so I thought I would give this a go. Hopefully someone with some JOAM experience can give me some help.

I probably should have thought of this before I started my brew but..I only have 5 gallons in a 6 gallon container? Is that going to cause a problem? Will the extra air be an issue? If so, can I put another 2.5lbs in and top it off with water once the foaming stops? (Honestly my never foamed like crazy)

Here is what I have in it right now, 17.5lbs of honey, 2 packets of yeast, 2 cloves, 3 cinnamon sticks, 5 oranges, a couple pinches of all spice, a couple pinches of nutmeg and enough water to make 5 gallons. There is enough space for 1 more gallon.

Also, I have 5 oranges in my batch, was this overkill? The recipe states to increase everything in equal parts, which I did minus the cloves and cinnamon. If it is overkill, can I fish them out with a sanitized strainer? (I'm using a bucket to ferment)

Thanks for any help!

If it's not foaming out the top then WTF, let it run its course.

It's VVV easy, as a home brewer to read enough to.get.greedy and/or panic when and if you get problems.

It is likely fine as it is, and in any case, any airspace will fill with CO2 and not.be an issue........

Cool! Thanks as a noobie I sometimes get too deep into the forums and then start second guessing myself. I know this is an easy brew but it's the unknown that haunts me! (Plus the 60 dollars in honey I have in it =P)

If I start to stress about it, would it hurt anything to top off with honey and water?

UP the spices man! I have made many a JOAM. If you follow the directions and don't touch it at all over the next 3+ months. Then it will be fine. A layer of CO2 will settle over the mead and protect it. Just don't disturbed it after fermentation ends.

Back to the first statement. Up the spices! I think a JOAM weak on the spices makes to much of the flavor focus on the sweet orange and pith and the pitch is not too pleasant. I personally think the clove is the best balancing spice. I would say add at least another 5 pinches of nutmeg and all spice and add another 6 - 8 whole cloves. The cinnamon should be ok.

6 to 8 more cloves to total 10 in a five gallon batch would have excessive clove flavor IMO...to each their own though...:tank:

Thanks! I'll add a little more spices and call it a day. Seems to be bubbling pretty good now.

Back